Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Tuning CB with SWR meter.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tuning CB with SWR meter.

I got everything installed and operating, but I haven't tuned the SWR yet. I bought a SWR meter, but it didn't come with a cable. I don't know how long the cable between the CB and the meter needs to be. All the instructions say is that be long enough. Real helpful. The last time I tuned a CB was almost 30 years ago and I don't recall how long the cable was. If I was to guess, I'd say around 3'.

My other question pertains to the RF gain knob. Where is the best position for it? I know squelch is set so the noise just goes away.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rube
I got everything installed and operating, but I haven't tuned the SWR yet. I bought a SWR meter, but it didn't come with a cable. I don't know how long the cable between the CB and the meter needs to be. All the instructions say is that be long enough. Real helpful. The last time I tuned a CB was almost 30 years ago and I don't recall how long the cable was. If I was to guess, I'd say around 3'.

My other question pertains to the RF gain knob. Where is the best position for it? I know squelch is set so the noise just goes away.
Yes, typically you buy a 3' coax jumper with the SWR meter.

Instructions I used are here and are pretty good.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Where do I want to set the RF gain knob? Most of the way up (CW) or elsewhere?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rube
Where do I want to set the RF gain knob? Most of the way up (CW) or elsewhere?
The RF gain knob should be set to maximum. You want full power while tuning the antenna.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by John L
The RF gain knob should be set to maximum. You want full power while tuning the antenna.
Doesn't RF gain only affect receiver gain? Aren't you matching the antenna and radio in transmit mode? Normally RF gain is used to reduce the sensitivity of a receiver's front end (RF amplifiers) in strong signal locations (otherwise, do leave it at max). It has nothing to do with transmit. Or has the CB community subverted things from my 27-1/2 years in USAF as a radio tech?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Doesn't RF gain only affect receiver gain? Aren't you matching the antenna and radio in transmit mode? Normally RF gain is used to reduce the sensitivity of a receiver's front end (RF amplifiers) in strong signal locations (otherwise, do leave it at max). It has nothing to do with transmit. Or has the CB community subverted things from my 27-1/2 years in USAF as a radio tech?
Since he never tells us which CB he's running, turning the RF gain to max won't hurt. Some Galaxy radios have variable RF output.
My bad I suppose, I should have read it more closely, but in my own defense I was trying to cover all the bases without direct knowlege of the CB in question. That and everyone has their own terminology on some things, CB functions being one of them.

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Mark.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got a cheap Midland 1001Z.

Quick Reply: Tuning CB with SWR meter.