Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Uniden 510 xl and 3' firestickII

Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uniden 510 xl and 3' firestickII

Just installed this setup in my JK took it to a local shop to have the antenna tuned. They said the best reading they could get was 2.5 on the meter, is this ok and what kinda range should I be expecting. The antenna is mounted on the tire carrier and the mount is above the rear gate,the antenna sticks approximately a foot above the hardtop. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by munstie
Just installed this setup in my JK took it to a local shop to have the antenna tuned. They said the best reading they could get was 2.5 on the meter, is this ok and what kinda range should I be expecting. The antenna is mounted on the tire carrier and the mount is above the rear gate,the antenna sticks approximately a foot above the hardtop. Any advice would be appreciated.
The SWR should be down in the 1's. Is your antenna grounded well? That could contribute to a high SWR.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule18

The SWR should be down in the 1's. Is your antenna grounded well? That could contribute to a high SWR.
They said the ground was good, I am using about 4 foot of 8 gage wire ran to the frame to ground it. Cleaned the area of the frame as well to make sure I had good contact.

Last edited by munstie; 08-31-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Uniden 510 xl and 3' firestickII