Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Yaesu FT-8900r installed in my 2-Door

Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
I purchased it. It's the "gatemount" from "Cooltech".

I like it because it's one solid piece of stainless, and came with quality stainless hardware. I've had two of them (one for my VHF/UHF and one for my CB) on my tailgate for eight years...and I still get shockingly good signal range with my VHF rig.
Yea 75 miles in 1 direction, even with 50w with ideal propagation and line of site...is pretty damn far. I like the simplicity of a bracket as well. I may look into it.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good setup!

Won't make as much difference on VHF/UHF, but if you have time and will go HF at some point, I suggest you add some woven braided straps to the tailgate. The idea is to "bond" the various bits on the vehicle to act as one groundplane or "counterpoise". I've also strapped the doors and the tailpipe to the chassis on my 2008 2 door Wrangler, as I run mostly HF and it makes a big difference. When at an event, such as NPOTA last year or Field Day, I will strap to a ground rod by the vehicle and run a longwire in the trees. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Yaesu FT-8900r installed in my 2-Door