Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

12v outlet weirdness

Old 05-04-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v outlet weirdness

Anyone seeing this happen? 2015 4 door Sahara. The 12v outlet in the dash turns on and off with the ignition. A couple of days ago it magically switched to 'always on'. I found out because my GPS stayed on all night long. The next day I plugged my heavier draw cooler in it and it switched back to 'on off with ignition'. Yay, I figured it was fixed. Sort of 'self healed'. Now today I am back to running my GPS from that outlet and it is back to always on
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have never heard of this. I wish I had the capability to make it always be on. I'll follow this topic in case anyone finds a magic switch or setting. I've owned my 2012 for over 6 years. I've never seen that behavior from my dash outlet.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

That is dang weird. Never heard/seen that. Don't even know how that could be happening unless something in the TIPM getting crossways? That is just running to fuse in the engine bay....so the change would have to be something ahead of the fuse that is feeding the power to it. I've got several things tapped to that same fuse, and everything has always been hot only with the key.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsayta7722
Anyone seeing this happen? 2015 4 door Sahara. The 12v outlet in the dash turns on and off with the ignition. A couple of days ago it magically switched to 'always on'. I found out because my GPS stayed on all night long. The next day I plugged my heavier draw cooler in it and it switched back to 'on off with ignition'. Yay, I figured it was fixed. Sort of 'self healed'. Now today I am back to running my GPS from that outlet and it is back to always on
That 12v outlet is fed from the RUN/ACCESSORY relay. If the outlet is hot with the key removed, the relay is sticking closed, or the TIPM is keeping it closed.
The following users liked this post:
resharp001 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That 12v outlet is fed from the RUN/ACCESSORY relay. If the outlet is hot with the key removed, the relay is sticking closed, or the TIPM is keeping it closed.
That makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: 12v outlet weirdness