Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2007 to 2017 Factory Radio Swap???

Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2007 to 2017 Factory Radio Swap???

I have a 2007 2-door Wrangler X and I recently purchased a 2017 4-door Wrangler Unlimited. I've noticed the factory radio in the 2017 isn't as great as the one in the 2007 Jeep. The 2017 has those radio controls that are located on the back of the steering wheel.

Would it be possible to swap radios and the 2017 steering wheel controls would work with the older radio? The 2007 radio also have the U-Connect functionality (would need to get that working, disabled because of soft-top), would it be possible to have the U-Connect work on the 2017 Jeep?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this before I start taking the dashboards apart. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably wrong, but I don't think the 2007 radio is setup for steering wheel controls.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I am probably wrong, but I don't think the 2007 radio is setup for steering wheel controls.
The 2007 Jeep doesn't have steering wheel controls but maybe they would still work on the 2017 radio?

This sounds like something I'm going to have to do myself to find out. Really don't want to drop a lot of money to have a nice stereo, the 2007 one suited me just fine.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don’t think the radios are interchangeable due to the different CANBUS speeds. One is high, and the other is low speed.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
I don’t think the radios are interchangeable due to the different CANBUS speeds. One is high, and the other is low speed.
unless something changed both are high speed busses. Not saying it will work, but up to last year they worked from 2007 on
Old 10-14-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to go back and look, but you are correct. Sorry for the bad info...it’s been a few years since I did the swap. You just have to make sure the radio comes out of a Wrangler. There are different vehicles that have the exact looking navi radios, but are low speed CANBUS. Here is a great MYGIG guide with everything you need to know on swapping.

MYGIG Database Thread - JeepForum.com

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
unless something changed both are high speed busses. Not saying it will work, but up to last year they worked from 2007 on
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recently discovered if you search on Amazon for "Android car stereos" there are a lot of stereos out there that can do EVERYTHING and usually priced under $200!!

I think I'm going to go that route instead. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by djdingo
I recently discovered if you search on Amazon for "Android car stereos" there are a lot of stereos out there that can do EVERYTHING and usually priced under $200!!

I think I'm going to go that route instead. Thanks for the replies!
I would note that although they look like they have a lot of bells and whistles, typically they're not near as nice as you'd like to think. I bought a little commuter car that has an aftermarket head unit with NAV, bluetooth, reads SD cards, plays DVDs. LOL. it's nothing but a pain in the ass. I'd much rather have a basic factory head unit that 1) retains the factory look, and 2) plays nicely with the computer/factory controls on steering wheel.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would note that although they look like they have a lot of bells and whistles, typically they're not near as nice as you'd like to think. I bought a little commuter car that has an aftermarket head unit with NAV, bluetooth, reads SD cards, plays DVDs. LOL. it's nothing but a pain in the ass. I'd much rather have a basic factory head unit that 1) retains the factory look, and 2) plays nicely with the computer/factory controls on steering wheel.
X2 - i have bought an 07jk recently and the P.O. had installed a chinese made android radio- looks like something amazing but its crap.. i am on the market for a stock factory radio currently and have the same Q- would any year JK factory radio do ok for ano 07 JK fitment

Quick Reply: 2007 to 2017 Factory Radio Swap???