Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2007 JKU RES Radio - Procedure to add Blue Tooth???

Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 JKU RES Radio - Procedure to add Blue Tooth???

I've searched and searched this forum and the web - I don't have a clear answer so here it is again. Sorry if this is repetitious.

My Objective:
Keep current RES radio (picture below) but add the ability for my daughter to 1) Stream music from phone via Blue Tooth 2) Use hands free phone

Assumption:
- Current RES radio does NOT have Blue Tooth capabilities/Uconnect
- Current radio has buttons for activating Blue Tooth/Phone (they just don't do anything)
- Current radio DOES have Sirius radio which is functional

My Questions:

1) Do I need to acquire a whole new unit to swap into the Jeep or can I just purchase a UConnect add on device that somehow connects to the back of the existing RES radio?

2) I've seen some replacement radios on eBay that supposedly have Uconnect. They are listed with a CD-ROM presumably for a software update. For what I want to do is a software update required?

3) IF I buy a whole radio unit off eBay, does it matter what year I buy? In other words, my Jeep is 2007, can I buy a unit that was in a 2012? or 2014?

4) IF I buy a whole radio unit OR Unconnect module off of eBay, are there specific model #'s I should look for based on my stated objective above?

I acknowledge that I'll also need to purchase a microphone wiring kit as well.

THANKS TO ALL?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	676260
Old 11-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I started to pursue a similar project and hung it up after I spent $100 and really hadn't gotten anywhere. I bought the uConn module and (what I thought was) all of the associated wiring harness pieces. I had the module and a harness along with a microphone and harness but I was missing some form of power source as well as the microphone harness from the uConn module to the driver's side visor.

If money is an issue, go with an aftermarket unit. If you like the styling then finding a wrecked JK with that option would probably be the best way to go so you can pull all of the harness pieces. If you just want something factory then the 730n would be a good alternative. It's supposed to have all of the Bluetooth pieces integrated but you'd probably still need to add the microphone.

As far as which radios can fit where- I have a 2015 radio in my 2010 and the touchscreen radio I had (430n from a 15) worked in my jeep but is currently in my friend's 2015. GPS works on his since the newer antennas are GPS and Sirius capable.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

I hear you. Tx for the reply. Question, there are a lot of Jeep radios on eBay labeled as having uConnect. Does anyone know if these have the uconnect module built into the radio?

I guess I’m worried that the eBay sellers are mid labeling them.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Many of them are mislabeled. Another thing you need to check before buying is that the seller has an anti-theft code to accompany the radio. You can force your way into the radio by trying random number combinations but it's really easier if they have the combo. It'll be derived from the VIN and individual part number- a call to the parts dept will yield the code.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my solution for the streaming music. Super easy to install, and works like clockwork.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...radios-341644/

Quick Reply: 2007 JKU RES Radio - Procedure to add Blue Tooth???