Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2007 Starting problems

Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Starting problems

I recently had the motor changed in my 07 JKU, and was having problems with the starter turning over. I had the battery checked, which was ok, so I replaced the starter. Unfortunately it still has a real problem turning over, and will just click, where I will have to hit the ignition several times before it finally turns over. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Allthewayjumper (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goody4u88
I recently had the motor changed in my 07 JKU, and was having problems with the starter turning over. I had the battery checked, which was ok, so I replaced the starter. Unfortunately it still has a real problem turning over, and will just click, where I will have to hit the ignition several times before it finally turns over. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Try cycling the shifter to Low then back to Park or Neutral.
The following users liked this post:
Goody4u88 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

You nailed it, was the Neutral safety switch!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You nailed it, was the Neutral safety switch!
Do you have an automatic transmission? If so, it's not a simple neutral safety switch.
It's a range sensor, buried inside the transmission.

The usual click-no-start problem is most often fixed by installing an additional ground wire from the battery negative terminal to one of the alternator mount bolts, and one between the engine and transmission.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

So I'm confused, why when I have the problem can I just push forward on my shifter and it starts the first try every time if its not the NSS? Sorry, yes it is an automatic.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

So I'm confused, why when I have the problem can I just push forward on my shifter and it starts the first try every time if its not the NSS? Sorry, yes it is an automatic.
The rang sensor is a 4 contact switch, awash in transmission fluid. The arrangement of the contacts tells the computer what position the range selector is in.

Aging ground connections can cause electricity to find paths of less resistance. When you turn the key to START, some of that jolt may try to pass through the range sensor contacts. This may cause them to lose continuity, making the computer think the transmission is not in PARK. An aborted start sequence is the result.

Moving the shift lever establishes new continuity through the range sensor contacts. It might work the first time, or it might take several tries.

Installing the additional ground wires ensures a better path to ground.

This has worked on many JK automatics with the dreaded click-no-start problem.

Since you recently had the engine changed, your problem could be the shift cable needs adjusting. If that's it, I would still install the additional ground wires.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-29-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Starting problems