Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2007 Won't turn over

Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Won't turn over

I put my '07 JK X 2-door 4wd 6-speed, in storage for a year. Up on jack stands, battery disconnected, fuel stabilizer, the whole nine.

Went to try to get it running today. No Go. I put in a new battery. put the key in the ignition, turn to on, dash lights up, radio comes on, heater works. Turn to start, and it won't turn over. Here's what I tried:
  1. Jumped over clutch switch.
  2. Put in 4 wheel Low. (supposed to bypass the clutch switch, but i dunno)
  3. Jumpered the starter direct - it spins.
  4. Pulled the starter relay and tested it, it's fine.
  5. Jumped over the starter relay in the fuse box - starter turns.
  6. No Codes on OBD2.
  7. Put a meter on the control lines for the starter relay - no voltage when turning the key.
This makes me think the ECM isn't sending out the signal to click on the starter relay, but I don't know why.

I tried pulling J17 for 30 seconds, put it back in. no joy.
I'm thinking it's the ECM may be bad... but it was working just fine when the jeep was stored.

I talked to the dealer, which had the same suggestions - clutch switch, jump starter control, check the relays, check the fuses.
The dealer also told me that they don't work on cars over 10 years old and can't test the ECM.

I'm at a loss. Before I try to buy an after-market ECM, I was hoping the hive mind here might have some suggestions.
Searching the forums didn't seem to offer anything I haven't tried.

Thanks!
-Allen
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok so lets start with from the top.

No start- do you get a check engine light when the key is turned on? If not you could have a bad capacitor on the ECM, not 100% sure but could be an issue.

replace the relay for the starter, I think they are $15 and before starting tap the starter with a hammer. When I say, I mean a light loving tap not full blown pound. You could have a sticky solenoid on the starter. If that is the case I would replace the starter with one from Autozone or O'Reilly's utilizing there lifetime replacement warranty.

R/
Will
Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Check the power at the fuse box to the computer. On an 2007 I think it is 22 and it should be hot. I had it go bad in mine and had to bypass the box to get things running.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Starter does turn, when I jump the control line to power. Also I replaced the starter relay in the TIPM. I also jumped out the starter relay in the TIPM and the starter turns. I get a Check Engine light when I turn on the key for a few moments but then it turns off. There are no codes.

Checked power to computer from fuse box, it is hot.

I pulled the computer and sent it for diagnostics at SIA, we'll see what they say.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Got the call from SIA today. Computer is fine. That makes me more uneasy than it should. I guess I'm down to tracing individual wires to each sensor in the starter sequence.

Does anyone know what resistance the key switch is supposed to have in the start position? All the wiring diagrams show resistors but not the values.

Also I'm still taking suggestions.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

I found the shop CD, from some sketchy website and walked down the "won't crank" troubleshooting list.. Got to a step where I check for a signal from the computer to activate the relay, by probing a connector to the TIPM. The signal is not there. I toned and ohmed the wire. It's fine. So I'm damned sure the computer is not sending the signal to the TIPM to engage the starter... but I have no idea why.

I traced the clutch switch back to the computer connector and verified it is operating properly.

Turning the key seems to be recognized, as the accessories turn off, in prep of the large current draw, when turned to start.

I am at my wits end. Please anyone, I need suggestions before I call the junkyard to haul away a perfectly good jeep with a small electrical problem.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm thinking it's related to no voltage for a year, and something lost it's memory/configuration or zorched on power up. Rodents chewing on wiring also comes to mind for a no-crank after storage, was the storage outdoors?

Here's some questions, thoughts, don't know if any of this will help:
  • Is there any type of security system other then the Sentry Key Immobilizer?
  • Is there anything else that doesn't work? Try the horn, lights, turn signals, everything. If something else doesn't work there might be a relationship to the no-crank.
  • When you turn the key from RUN to START, does the radio/clock display turn off? (mine does, clutch not pressed so it won't start)
  • Put the seatbelt on, turn the key to RUN. Do ALL the lamps lite up, and do they ALL go off except for the engine lamp? Wait for ~15 seconds, does the engine lamp blink? (It should blink, I/M emissions tests are not complete yet because it hasn't been driven). Wait another ~10 seconds, does the engine lamp turn back on steady (it should). Your prior post #4 said the engine lamp turned off, double check that -- I'm thinking the PCM should be illuminating this lamp after the lamp test (initially blinking for the I/M tests not ready, or steady to indicate it's healthy and the I/M tests are complete) until the engine starts -- That's the way my 2008 works.
  • Turn the key off for a few seconds, then turn it on-off-on-off-on and it should indicate dashes on the odometer and then read "dOne". If it displays any fault codes, that would be great.
There should be a dealer in FL that will troubleshoot a 2007 with the factory starscan equipment. There's other non-factory high end diagnostic stuff, but not every shop will have what it takes. Eventually this will get fixed. Regardless of how long it takes, please let us know what it was.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-09-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Fixed typo regarding the terms run & start.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply @MrT Here's some more information:
  • Jeep was stored indoors, there is no evidence of rodents (no droppings, chewings, etc)
  • No extra security system.
  • Horn, lights, turn signals, radio, interior light, etc. all work just fine
  • Turning the switch to start does cause the radio display to turn off
  • I was mistaken when I said the MIL was off. I must have glanced to it when it was flashing. But the dash responds as you say, All lights on, then most off but MIL, traction control and TPMS. then a few seconds later MIL flashes a bit, then back on solid. Regarding Traction control, I have had that turned off for years (using the steering wheel trick) And as for the TPMS, I pulled out all the sensors when I put on new tires a few years back. So, I expect those to be on.
  • Did the on-off-on-off-on trick, saw the dashes, followed by "dOnE" No codes popped up.
I'm not in FL, haven't been for years. I am in the USVI (St. Croix) Amazingly there is a Chrysler/Jeep Dealership on the island, but they refuse to work on anything older than 10 years... considering it's a 2007, apparently if I had showed up two months ago, they would have worked on it... Strange, strange management....

I managed to contact the Local Jeep Group (asphalt queens, and I'm more of an off roader, so I never hang with them) They offered up a suggestion for a mechanic, who didn't pan out, but I got a few referrals to another one that is supposed to be an expert in Wranglers and had one of those Chrysler CAN diagnostic computers (I think it's a starscan, I forgot the name when I was talking to him), he's coming on Teusday. So hopefully he can tell me what's wrong. I'll keep y'all posted.

At the very least, I appreciate that I am not alone in my misery! cheers!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like a plan! When the mech is there on Tuesday, try and get the make/model of what he's using for diagnostics. Since he's a Jeep expert, I'm very interested in his opinion as well if he's talkative. I've got an OTC 3210 and have been thinking about getting something in the "big league" with more output capabilities that talks to more modules.

On a side note, one time I was working on a buddies JK that had various problems after re-connecting the battery after some other work was complete. Long story short, the compass module zorched (apparently on power-up) in a way that messed with communications on the related CAN bus. I wasn't able to figure it out with what I had, and it ended up getting diagnosed by more experienced minds using better equipment. Anyway, one advantage of these older rigs is that the aftermarket diagnostic companies have had the time to figure out how to reverse engineer much of the factory starscan capabilities for them.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have an aftermarket radio with a LockPic, try removing that and trying. I had a weird electrical gremlin plague me with that after disconnecting my battery. I removed it and all was well.

Quick Reply: 2007 Won't turn over