JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   2010 RER in 2013 RES with Uconnect (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/2010-rer-2013-res-uconnect-316913/)

Dmjr228 02-04-2015 09:08 PM

2010 RER in 2013 RES with Uconnect

I recently picked up an RER mygig/nav/touch screen from a 2010 Town and Country to replace my current 2013 RES system with factory uconnect and no factory amp. The install was pretty straight forward, removed dash, removed factory radio, removed factory uconnect module, and re-pinned stock mic connector. I installed the 2010 RER without the nav antenna (it's on its way), connected my factory Sirius/nav antenna to the Sirius plug, connected the re-pinned mic, connected AM/FM antenna and connected the stock wiring harness. Everything fired up (whew!) when I turned the key. I enabled the uconnect in the engineering menu, called up Sirius and got that working as well. Mic works well, uconnect works fine with my phone, and radio controls work on the steering wheel. I also have a lockpick and rear camera in the mail to work with this.

Now for the issues...

- Even though my steering wheel radio controls and stock mic work flawlessly, my steering wheel voice control and hands free calling buttons do not work at all. Not a big deal, the radio vc and uconnect buttons work but I'd like them to work on my steering wheel if I could get them to.

- It has been over a week since my install, and my splash screen still says Chrysler (again not a big deal, but I'd like it to say Jeep). Can I "help" the radio to read the VIN to change my splash screen, or is this just a waiting game? Will a factory reset on the RER in the engineering menu do the trick?
sound

- The sound quality is pretty terrible. I messed with the equalizers and fade, and I got it to where it is almost reasonable. The sound bar speakers are worse than before. I already have polyfil in there and it helped but it needs more love. Is this because I do not have a factory amp? The music sounds like its missing some depth. I was planning to run my 4-channel amp from my previous truck (has high level inputs) and tap into the speaker outputs from the radio and adjust the gain accordingly. Will this solve my problem or present more problems? Will the lockpick give me any additional issues with the radio sound quality? (I'll be doing speakers soon too, I've had good luck with JBL's in the past and will probably get something along those lines again)

Any ideas? :thinking:
As I mentioned, I could live with the first two problems, but I want to tackle this sound quality thing. I like things looking factory, so an aftermarket hu is pretty much out of the question. If all the issues could get addressed, I'd be a very happy Jeeper! Please let me know what your thoughts are, and if you're ever in Rochester, NY, I'll buy you a beer if you can help me sort this out! :beer:
(If there is a thread addressing any/all of the problems, point me in the right direction. I've searched far too long without success)

ngiovas 02-06-2015 04:13 AM

The older radios (including 2010) did not automatically switch splash screens. You will have to take it to a dealer and see if they will re-associate the radio with the new VIN. The images for all of the brands are loaded on the radio, but they will not load until the VIN is associated to the radio by the dealer.

Some dealers will do it, others will not. If they do, they will likely charge you for a small amount of work.

Dmjr228 02-06-2015 09:54 AM

Thanks ngiovas, that helps. :thumbsup: I have friends that are paper pushers at the Jeep dealership near me. I'll see if they can help me out when I schedule my appointment for the heated mirror recall.

Do you (or anyone else) have any insight to my other two questions?

ngiovas 02-06-2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dmjr228 (Post 4050184)

- Even though my steering wheel radio controls and stock mic work flawlessly, my steering wheel voice control and hands free calling buttons do not work at all. Not a big deal, the radio vc and uconnect buttons work but I'd like them to work on my steering wheel if I could get them to.

Do you have the separate Uconnect module behind installed (behind your radio). If not, the phone functions will not work. The newer radios have the Uconnect phone modules built into the radio, but the earlier radios used a separate module that was ordered separately.

Nick

ngiovas 02-06-2015 10:26 AM

Sorry, just saw you said that these buttons work on the radio - just not on the steering wheel. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure all of the connectors are tight.

Dmjr228 02-07-2015 05:27 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the connections when I install the lockpick.

Anyone know about the amp? I'm thinking the rer I installed came originally in a car with a factory amp, and my wrangler does not have one. Could I tap into the radio outputs with my amp with high level inputs?

Chadc880 02-08-2015 09:54 AM

The 2011 2012 on up for sure has a different bus system then the 2007 through 2010 Wranglers

Even though it's still a high-speed system it's just a completely different system on the newer style jeeps.

Many of us found this issue out when we tried installing REN's into our newer JK's

Also the little cluster mess. The RER in our RHR are completely self-contained units with the exception of the microphone.

Also on the newer style mygig systems your satellite antenna and sirus are both the same antenna. This is why you are having to order an additional antenna like on the older style JK's

On your particular JK it sounds like you do have the connectivity package. That is not needed in order to operate these particular style my gig systems

You will not be able to get your steering wheel controls work it's just impossible you have to upgrade to the correct your model newer style my gig systems like the RHR or the RHB.

Dmjr228 02-08-2015 10:59 AM

I understand that the RER uses a self contained uconnect, which I why I removed the separate module that originally came with my jeep, repinned the mic connector and activated the uconnect on the rer. My mic works, and if the bus system is different between years, it explains the reason why the uconnect/vc buttons on the steering wheel do not work. My radio control buttons on my steering wheel do work. I think I can deal with that.

What about the sound issue? Can I tap into the speaker output wires behind the radio or are they digital outputs that are expected to go to the factory amp? I just need to know if I need a harness or if I can usth my old amp with high level inputs I have from a previous car.

Chadc880 02-09-2015 04:39 AM

I think the sound issue most likely is coming from if that came out of a Chrysler minivan many of those Chrysler minivans had to infinity system that had to separate amplifier

Dmjr228 02-09-2015 09:12 AM

That was my thought too. Before I do anything, I'll see if anything changes when I re-associate my vin to the mygig. My connections at the dealership paid off, they just told me to bring them a pack of their favorite beer. :beer:
If the sound issue is still present then I will try various options with connecting my personal amp, I'll post up my results when everything is complete. Thanks everyone!