Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 A-Pillar Switch Mod

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 A-Pillar Switch Mod

I'd been trying to figure out where I wanted to put the switches for my aux KC lights. I had temporarily mounted the KC switch next to the A-Pillar and decided I liked that location a lot - easy to reach, always in view...

I looked at the Rigged Ridge A-Pillar switch pod, but wasn't a fan of the fact that it didn't match the 2011 interior and RR recommended putting a piece of foam under their switch pod to fill a hole between it and the dash on the 2011. Not really the factory look I was going for.

Did quite a bit of searching here and stumbled across a pic from eaglemikeo on how he mounted inexpensive rocker switches in the factory A-Pillar trim and that's what I decided to go with.

I picked up these switches from Radio Shack for $4 a piece. They're not weatherproof and not of the same caliber as switches from ARB and Rugged Ridge and others, but they'll work just fine for me:

To pop the lower A-Pillar trim piece out, you need to pull off the upper corner trim piece first. Remove the plastic screw from the lower of the two screw holes and remove the two hex screws holding the visor on. Then, simply pull down on the trim piece until it comes loose. It's held on by a looooong plastic push screw, so it takes a bit of pulling. Next, just pull the lower trim piece toward the rear of the Jeep and it will pop off.

I used a 7/8" hole drill bit and then rounded out the area and cleaned it up a bit with a rotary tool. Then I just poped the switches in, wired them up, tested them and re-attached the trim pieces.

I really dig the way they came out - looks like they were there from the factory. There's even room to mount a 3rd switch below the two I put in so I've got room to add something else in the future.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Good
I want to get the aeroforce gauge loaded up in that area with 2 switches, haven't convinced myself how to just yet. Was hoping RR would make a version of theirs to accommodate this but all of my inquiries have never been responded to (direct email, and other posts on this forum including ones they have started.)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice. First pics I've seen of switches in a 2011.

Do you think there is space enough behind that panel to use the ARB style switches?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phantasm
Looks Good
Originally Posted by wvxlt
Very nice. First pics I've seen of switches in a 2011.

Do you think there is space enough behind that panel to use the ARB style switches?
Thanks!

I think there might be enough room behind the trim to accommodate an ARB-style switch, but likely you'd have to connect the wires at a 90-degree angle. There's about an inch to an inch to an inch and a half behind the trim. The width of the face of the trim panel may be a concern with that style switch tho. You might be able to mount two side-by-side vertically.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

This is very slick, looks very professional. Sure makes me jealous of you guys who are handy and can execute this kind of stuff. Me, I will have to pay someone like you to mod my stuff. This is definitely going on my wish list.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really cool idea!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Had the same idea on my 2008
That's looks great man!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Looks good! I've been contemplating these exact same switches at Radio Shack. It's good to know they can be mounted without the extra plastic piece included in the package.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
im debating between these 3.
the pillar one.
the one by speaker.
or in the center by empty switch spots.
Attachment 126971Attachment 126972
I looked at the switch pod that fits at the bottom of the console, but it would have eliminated a neat storage area in the 2011s and it would have required some trimming for the 2011 interior. I dig the way that one looks in the 07-10s tho.

I used to have switches in the area by the speaker on my TJ, but it seemed like I would whack them with my knee all the time. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad on my JK, but I've got bad memories of switches in that location
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kind of makes you wonder why Jeep doesn't incorporate logical areas to mount aftermarket switches in the Wrangler interior....

Quick Reply: 2011 A-Pillar Switch Mod