Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2013 Unlimited sport with alpine system

Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Unlimited sport with alpine system

I just bought a 2013 sport with the alpine system and sub. I was a little let down by the bass. It is not as good as my wifes 2012 with the infinity sub or my buddies 2015 with alpine sub. Is this normal? Just was expecting more than the infinity system.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see lots of views and no answers. There is actually a question in all that. Is this normal? Is the Infinty system from '12 and the Alpine system from '15 better than my system in my '13? i am getting hardly any bass from my sub, I just thought there would be more. Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 13 JKU with the same system. I had a mazda with the 260 watt sony/bose system prior and it was awesome. so coming into the jeep with a 368 watt alpine system i was all excited. then i heard it.... whawhawhaaaaa. sucked. it barely punched at all. no bass. farty mids. i bought the jeep with the 730n. $1,700 for the radio, $800 for nav and $500 for blue tooth. so $3k for the radio system. and it sounds like my daughters 2004 corolla with premium audio. not a 368 watt premium system.

about 11 months in, the original 730 head unit went out and was replaced under warranty. no problem. about a year and a half into the second unit it starts locking up all the time. i took it to the dealership, they update software, i take it again, they don't see a problem, take it again while it's locked up, nothing they can do (the last trip to dealer the car was 2 yrs ad 11 month old). at 3 yrs and 1 month i take it again, radio completely frozen, unusable, not only the radio, but also nav, BT music and phone.i kindly explain that this has been an ongoing issue that it needs to be fixed under warranty. they tell me to call Chrysler warranty line. an hour on the phone with chrysler they basically tell me to f off. and im glad they did. because they would have replaced it with the same POS. the 13 head units suck. they just do. Chrysler knows it.

i bought an aftermarket unit and dash and roll bar speakers from crutchfield and with the factor amp and sub it sounds awesome. like it should have from the beginning. i can give you more details if you want, but to answer your original question, yes, the 13 head units are pieces of shit.

Also, the 13 has a specific feature that the amp goes into a low power mode with the top off, specifically the rear window power plug not connected. there are videos on the tube on how to use a fuse to jump the connection and trick the connector into thinking the top is still on. that was another disappointment with the radio, the first time i drove her naked on a sunny day, i was all excited to push some 368 watts around town and i thought i was going crazy because it sounded like it was in low power mode. thanks to the forums and tube that i had a place to go for such specific advise.

so in conclusion, no you're not crazy and if you're an audiophile, a new HU, speakers, polyfill and porting of the front pods will get you where u need.

Quick Reply: 2013 Unlimited sport with alpine system