Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2014 wrangler (j13 iod fuse)

Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 wrangler (j13 iod fuse)

Hello fellow jeepers -

i'm trying to learn and resolve my issue on my own as much as i can.

1-jeep wouldn't crank after not using it for two days
2-realized battery was not fully charged
3-got the jeep jump started to get jeep running
4-took jeep to auto zone and test battery which turned out to be good
5-it was at that time we noticed something was pulling from battery and thought it could be a short
6-got home and disconnected the positive cable from battery post
7-connected a test light bulb with two clamps (one for battery post and one for positive cable - light bulb is fully lit when both clamps are connected)
8-took out each fuse from the tipm fuse box
9-j13 iod fuse is removed and light bulb turns off, did it one gain to confirm and same result, light goes off

now that i realize this is potentially the issue, what should be my next steps in resolving?

A-do i purchase a new fuse? How do i know if the fuse is bad?
B-if the issue is not the fuse - is there a wiring diagram from the tipm, specifically the j13 fuse wire that will point me in the right direction or to the component that has the short? Or narrow down to something else?

Any ideas what the issue could be? What should be my next steps?

There is nothing that indicates there is an issue other than what happened in steps 1 and 2.

I've been disconnecting the battery to hold charge until i find a solution, but don't like the idea of the computer being reset every time.

Any input is helpful.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

IOD is your Ignition Off Draw fuse. If the fuse was bad then typically it would fail in the open position (no electricity flowing). It is possible, but not as likely that it would fail in the closed (electricity flowing) position. Typically the fuse box has the related components listed but I believe the radio and basic computers are involved with that circuit. Jeep recommends pulling the fuse if leaving the vehicle parked for more than (double check the manual) two weeks.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what you mean "it would fail in the open position (no electricity flowing)". Does this mean when the car is off ?

What related components on the fuse box? It basically shows what each fuse is on the fuse box cover which in this case is J13 IOD Main - (Ignition Off Draw Fuse)
I guess there is some level of drawing power (minimal) from battery which makes sense that jeep would want you to remove the fuse. But for me it was only a couple of days which would tell me more than a minimal amount of amperes of pulling was taking place. I'll take a look at the radio and basic computers, but how can I confirm that the fuse or wiring from the j13 leads to those components? Not sure if I'm explaining correctly, but that is what i would like to know as well. Appreciate your input!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The IOD fuse is always drawing current. The question is if it's drawing TOO much current. After you shut the vehicle off, it will still pull quite a bit (mine pulls 2.65 amps) for up to 5 minutes. Then it drops to 0.022 to 0.035 amps and holds that until you wake the vehicle back up (unlock a door, lock a door, start the vehicle, etc).

You'll need to use a multimeter and measure the amperage draw rather than a light.

Refer to post # 2 of this link - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...roblem-343890/
Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

@jedg Thanks for that. I’ll do exactly that to determine the amount of pulling. The other post looks like a really good set of instructions.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Used a multimeter and here are my numbers.

1 - With car off, lights off, doors closed, glove compartment closed battery registered at 13.4 volts

2 - While car running battery registered at 14.4 volts

3 - While car is off, lights off, doors closed and glove closed. Disconnected negative cable and connected lead from multimeter to ground cable and other lead to negative battery post. Reading was .5 amps

4 - After removing the j13 fuse while all is still connected amperage drops to .01

5 - Placed j13 fuse back in position and amps increased back to .52

I'm thinking my next step should be to replace the j13 fuse and continue from there, but is this a special fuse? OR just let autozone know to give me a J13 60 amp ignition off draw fuse? If new fuse seated in position and amps drop to .01 then I'm good, but if still pulling .52, then I'm left to assume something else is drawing. Any thoughts?

Last edited by dolm77; 04-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Replaced fuse with a bussman 60amp fuse from autozone.

Multimeter is still showing drawing of .52 amps.

Anywhere I can find a wiring diagram from the TIPM to each component that it is wired to?

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Your IOD fuse is fine. Fuses work in 2 states, either it's good, and is conducting, or it's blown, and it's not conducting. They are designed to protect equipment. The IOD fuse is like the main breaker in your house. You shut that one off and it removes power to everything. What you need to do is when your looking at .52 amps, start pulling other fuses from the TIPM, and see which circuit is drawing current. If you remove a fuse and nothing changes, it's not that circuit, try a different one. Do this one at a time, it's slow, but that's what troubleshooting is, a process of elimination. Once you find which circuit it is, you then start disconnecting the equipment in that circuit, one item at a time to find out what's casuing the draw.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Still pulling parasitic draw @ .52 amps.

Finally pulled the M13 fuse while all other fuses are in place and .01 amps was the reading.

Should I now be checking the below ?

M13
20 Amp Yellow
Ignition Off Draw— Cabin Compartment Node (IOD-CCN), Wireless Control Module (WCM), SIREN, Clock Module (CLK MOD), Multi-Function Control Switch (MULTIFCTN SW)

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

That fuse is supposed to have current draw all of the time. It should NOT have 0.52 amps... should be way lower... like 0.035amps... (from memory so may not be the right number)

Do you have an aftermarket radio? Do you have a CB tied into the wiring in your dash area?

Quick Reply: 2014 wrangler (j13 iod fuse)