Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2014 wrangler unlimited replace amp

Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 wrangler unlimited replace amp

My radio has been cutting in and out for a little over 2 weeks. Everything is working on the head unit display but sound cuts out every couple seconds whether im on bluetooth, sirius radio, AM/FM, or CD.... I talked to an audio sound guy and he told me that he is almost positive that it is the amp that needs to be replaced. I have the alpine audio system in my wrangler and I found a used AMP for same model on ebay that I bought. I just want to replace this used one with the one that is no good. I was told it is under the steering column. Im just wondering how hard of a job this will be to get to the amp, disconnect it, and connect the AMP to replace it? Does this sound like it is definitely an AMP issue?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts
Lightbulb

On my 2008, removing the amp is pretty simple -- Yours is probably similar. Basically it goes like this: Remove the plastic trim below the steering column, remove a metal brace with a couple bolts, remove a bolt that retains the amp, pull the amp up enough to remove all the electrical connectors from the back side by pressing the typical locking tab, and then slide the amp out.

There is a plastic wire loom support that slips over a threaded stud near where the steering column goes through the firewall. It will probably slide off the stud as the amp is withdrawn, but will need to be positioned and pressed on during installation.

Edit: There's no way to know if the problem is actually the amp, might as well test with the Ebay replacement. Stay in touch, curious how it turns out.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-30-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do. Going to give it a shot as soon as its not 10 degrees out here. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 2014 wrangler unlimited replace amp