Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

4 Pin to 7 Pin Female

Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On some other forums I've visited this same discussion came up about whether to flash the computer. I don't see why it is necessary, but these new computer controlled cars are a major PITA. So it is probably a good idea to get it done. dkingJK do you mind mentioning how much you paid for your install.
On a side note: my jeep was recently flashed after an oil change (they said it needed an upgrade) and I lost a few bits of functionality, nothing serious, no honking on locking, no auto lock at 15MPH, and couple of others. Some I got back others I haven't figured out yet.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dkingjk
You can adapt from larger to smaller (7-4 7-6 6-4) but cant go from small to larger. ...
Let me clarify: If you go from a smaller to a larger, then you will lose some functionality. You can't go that direction and pick-up the functionality that was never wired in the towing vehicle to begin with. That functionality would usually be electric brakes and constant 12 VDC (usually for interior lighting). If you can live without those, then you're fine to go from a 4-pin on the vehicle to a 7-pin on the trailer. As I said in my prior post: We do this all of the time with the Boy Scout Troop trailer using an adapter made by one of our assistant scoutmasters (who is also a U-Haul mechanic).
Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you buy that adapter? I've never seen one
Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dkingjk
Can you buy that adapter? I've never seen one
A mechanic for U-Haul who is an Assistant Scoutmaster in the troop made one for us. I seem to recall him saying they're not available commercially. But, who knows . . .

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-31-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

You can also use one of these:

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...4_adapter.html

Just need to run the wires for the brake controller, battery, and backup lights to it, plug in your current 4 way, and you're all set.

Quick Reply: 4 Pin to 7 Pin Female