Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430n rhb black screen when in reverse

Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 430n rhb black screen when in reverse

So ive had this 430n RHB stereo in my 15 jku for about 2 yrs now. I got it from another fellow jeeper, and it has always worked great. I installed a backup camera on it almost imediatley and never had any issues. just recently I added a pac bci-ch21 to control the nav while driving and to access the back up camera in any gear and it has been working flawlessly. just about a week ago my video screen went black while in reverse and it wont pick up the video signal. the pac module is working just fine, it still switches from nav to video on command but the screen is black. I have swapped out the rca cable leading from the camera thinking that was the culprit but it does the same thing. I externally wired the rca to my traildash 2 screen to eliminate the camera and it is working as it is supposed to. so I decided to take out the radio( I figured the rca cable came loose behind the deck) but everything is connected as it should be. I tried eliminating the pac module and ran the rca directly to the radio but it does the same thing. I even swapped harnesses out thinking the pac harness was defective but nothing happens. I constantly get a black screen when in reverse or when I trigger the camera through the pac. Do the video cards go bad on the 430n's? do the 430n's have issues with just the video feed? do I need a new radio? mind you all the other features work fabulously and I don't want to loose the ability to use the steering wheel controls or even loose the function of the microphone or the usb port in the console. Just wondering what others have experienced and how to fix this issue.

****I have searched, and I am still searching.

TIA
Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also using the pac bci-ch21 but with a 730n rer and it is doing the same thing except only when it is below freezing. I just have it triggered by reverse. haven't figured it out yet but i'm thinking it is the camera that I bought off amazon. I'm thinking i'll buy another camera to see if that's the culprit. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vicaven
..... I tried eliminating the pac module and ran the rca directly to the radio but it does the same thing. I even swapped harnesses out thinking the pac harness was defective but nothing happens. I constantly get a black screen when in reverse or when I trigger the camera through the pac. .....
It sounds like you have a bad power feed to your camera. Apparently you have checked the video signal cable and also verified that the camera actually works. It sounds like the video IS switching as designed (when put into reverse or manually selecting the camera) but it is not displaying an image from the camera because the camera is not actually getting power to send the image.

On the BCI-CH21 there is a reverse power feed that you can use to power the camera or some prefer to just run power from the backup lights. However, running power from the backup lights would not display an image when selected manually (because power would only be supplied to the camera when shifted into reverse). I would test by connecting the camera to known power or checking with a mulitmeter that you are actually getting power to the camera.

Hope this helps

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 04-22-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 430n rhb black screen when in reverse