JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   50" Light Bar Wind Noise? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/50-light-bar-wind-noise-296298/)

07RedRubi 02-09-2014 03:32 PM

50" Light Bar Wind Noise?

I stopped a guy today to ask him about his 50" light bar and his response was not what I expected so I wanted to ask others who have added them. He said the light was great, but there was a substantial amount of wind noise from it when driving. I even saw he had added a hood bug deflector behind it to help. He said it's better now, but still distracting. Anybody else notice this issue?

CTomlin19 02-09-2014 03:47 PM

I had a 50 and had the same issue. It was so bad I could not even drive. I had the softtop on so I could not tell you what it was like with the hardtop because I ended up selling it. It sounded like somebody was beating a broom on top of the jeep.

ahfunaki 02-09-2014 03:50 PM

I put strips of door guard along the fins of mine it's not bad at all. You can tell it's there but I go 60+ mph on a daily basis and don't have any real complaints.

I didn't drive it without the door guard, so I can't comment on what it was like before but I know it is a common issue for the bars to make noise.

waterboy222 02-09-2014 04:10 PM

I bought 3 packages of the 3m door guard as well.. I cut it to different lengths and stuck it on randomly on the fins.. It cured it after a couple times of moving the pieces around. On mine, the biggest difference was the dead center of the fins..

whitejkdev 02-09-2014 04:23 PM

On mine I tilted it in such a way when the wind hit it it screamed so loud and high pitch I thought I had blown a bearing on my fan or my tire was coming off

sea bass 02-09-2014 05:21 PM

I wonder if some mounts are more quiet than others? Positioning the lights closer to the windshield?

Jersey_Devil 02-09-2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by waterboy222 (Post 3832657)
I bought 3 packages of the 3m door guard as well.. I cut it to different lengths and stuck it on randomly on the fins.. It cured it after a couple times of moving the pieces around. On mine, the biggest difference was the dead center of the fins..

Same here.... No noise for me

Sent from my obama monitoring device

SaFFFari 02-09-2014 06:41 PM

Not a 50 inch... but I experience turbulence also. Not too bad but since it's a soft top I do notice it. When the top is off I can hear the whistling sound ... I'll experiment with 3M tape or silicone later.. hasn't drove me crazy yet.

bombout800 02-09-2014 06:45 PM

Mine sounds like a scary movie sound board. It doesn't bother me.

raycn 02-09-2014 07:16 PM

Mine's loud but not unbearable.