7-pin or 4-pin trailer harness - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

7-pin or 4-pin trailer harness

Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 7-pin or 4-pin trailer harness

So, I know in the near future I'll be doing some towing and I'm unsure of which trailer wiring harness to get. I'm debating just going straight for the 7-pin, but are there adapters to reduce to a 4-pin for smaller trailers?

I don't expect to be towing extremely large or heavy loads, but honestly I think I'd like the capability if it's not going to cause more pain than gain. Any suggestions???
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

there are lots of adaptors from 7pin to 4, but I wasn't aware you could get a 7 pin on the jeep
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking on Quadratec and saw a few. Mopar even has one.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

adapters ,yes RV - trailer supply stores have them ,I went with the flat 4 ,and regret it , going 7 pin with brakes when i get the time.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Mopar offers separate 4 pin and 7 pin harnesses. The 7 pin harness kit is about $100. My 2012 Sport came with the 4 pin so i don't know how much it sells for. I added the 7 pin harness and a trailer brake module that i had in my 2008 sport, so now i have both both. The 7 pin and 4 pin harnesses from Mopar are designed to plug into the rear left tail light and both mount to the rear bumper. (The 4 pin mounts to the tab on the left side of the receiver, and the 7 pin kit includes a mounting bracket that works well on the stock The 7 pin harness includes a lead line that you can route under the jeep to the engine compartment to hook to the battery and also a lead to hook to a trailer brake module if you add it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Get the 7 pin and Get the 4 pin adapter- its nice having both options
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk craig
Get the 7 pin and Get the 4 pin adapter- its nice having both options
X2. I had the 4, but even the small campers I've towed required 7 pin, so I had to install an adapter. Much easier to install 7 the first time and run an adapter to 4.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Have the 4, found the 7 plug and play on eBay for $60 and picked up a 7 to 4 adaptor on amazon for $8 that is lighted to confirm proper wiring. Will probably sell my 4 pin for $40 shipped making it a $40 investment to go to a 7 pin.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

You might also look in to getting a multi-connector like the Hopkins MultiTow Adapter. You hook it all up like you would the seven pin/blade and then the internal wiring converts the signals to the secondary flat-four connector. And it's extremely inexpensive.

It does have a larger footprint than the standard flat-four or RV connectors, but if it means avoiding you carrying an extra adapter that might become faulty or get lost or eatin' by the dog, etc...
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I agree. I have the 4 pin and wish I would have done 7 pin. I will be changing mine out soon.

Quick Reply: 7-pin or 4-pin trailer harness

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: