Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Abandoning Steering Wheel Controls (SWC)

Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abandoning Steering Wheel Controls (SWC)

Hey Folks!
I'm new to the boards, and recently purchased a new 2017 JKU (which came with steering wheel controls and the lowest model head unit.) I'm getting ready to pick up a new replacement head unit and am curious about SWC and what actually talks to the head unit.

So, here's my question...
When I pick up a new head unit, if I choose to abandon the "steering wheel controls" as I install the new unit, and I only abandoning the AUDIO controls portion of SWC, or am I also abandoning the Cruise Control and On-Board Computer Access controls too? Meaning... there are 3 major differing SWC button categories: AUDIO / CRUISE / COMPUTER... are they all connected together in one wire bundle that connects to the stereo?

I am considering not picking of the CANBUS module which talks to SWC. But I do enjoy using cruise and having access to the on-board computer via the SWC.
Pic for reference.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-26-2018, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You will only lose the two audio toggles on the back of the steering wheel. You will lose the compass reading on the information screen as the compass is a reading from the OE HU.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by casamtb
You will only lose the two audio toggles on the back of the steering wheel. You will lose the compass reading on the information screen as the compass is a reading from the OE HU.
this is great news.....I’m about to do an audio swap but don’t need the steering controls as of now.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Any way to retain the Compass Reading? I plan on replacing the OEM HU this weekend with an Atoto A6 HU with a Radio Pro 4 Interface. Should be able to retain the SWC with it. I hope I do not lose compass functionality .
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the SWC unit I bought I can reprogram the buttons to whatever I want. I never used the phone button so I programed it to turn on the camera. The cruise control was not affected.

Quick Reply: Abandoning Steering Wheel Controls (SWC)