Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help choosing a backup cam system with travel trailer

Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing a backup cam system with travel trailer

Hey everyone. Jeep wife here. The hubby and I are having a lightweight travel trailer custom built to tow behind our 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon. He has toyed with the idea of getting a backup cam and having the dealer flash the code long ago but never actually bit the bullet. Now that we are getting this trailer, I would like to revisit that option. This is his first towing experience and I was thinking about purchasing a camera setup for him for his birthday next month. I would like to accomplish the following:

1) Have a normal backup cam on the Jeep that engages when in reverse to help with hooking up to the trailer, normal parking when not towing, etc.
2) Have a camera mounted on the back of the trailer to help with highway navigation, changing lanes, parking trailer, etc.
3) the ability to easily view both cameras while the vehicle is in motion (albeit one camera at a time)
4) Still be able to listen to music while viewing cameras

So I know I need 2 camera inputs, which rules out the original plan of having the dealer flash the code, etc. I've read about Nav-TV, NAVTool, MyGig, PAC... the list goes on. I find that when I search the forums, I am finding really old threads (~2012-2015). Curious as to what others have chosen when trying to achieve this setup. Obviously, the lower cost the better, so long as the setup works! Hubby is handy and very capable, so no worries about the install process... I'm more worried that I'll pick the wrong thing. He hasn't thought about a cam setup yet, but I know he'll think it's a cool idea and it will make a good gift for a guy who likes useful things that he might not splurge on for himself.

Thanks for helping a girl out!

Quick Reply: Help choosing a backup cam system with travel trailer