Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Air Conditioning Sounds Bad

Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIJeep
With all automotive A/C you should run it weekly even if only for 5 minutes or so, using your defroster will also turn it on.

Reason? The oil in the compressor will lubricate the seal so it will leak far less, also helps return the oil to the compressor if it migrates from lack of use.

Yes, especially if it is -10degF where you are.
that is very good advice!

Are you a ASE mechanic or work for robinaire or what? I think when the robinaire guy tought me to use the R12 recovery/recycle machine is when I heard that first. Not enough people do it and end up with repairs that could have been avoided.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife makes sure it doesn't suffer from the lack of use.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

many cars nowadays cycle in the compressor for 10 seconds at the beginning of every start.. I havent checked to see if Jeep does this.. I know that GM does it and has done it for years...

this keeps an AC lubricated for people like me that almost NEVER use defrost or "floor - defrost" in winter... however I do turn on the AC in winter on rainy or snowy days to keep the inside of the windows defogged.....

-Christopher
Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Refridgerant Leak in 2008

What was the issue with the 2008? My daughter’s 08 Wrangler has a Freon leak somewhere. Can put 2 lbs of Freon in it and it now will last about 3 days. Any typical place to look or a “usual suspect” to try to fix first? How hard is it to fix? I’m pretty much a YouTube warrior on fixing stuff!

neither of my JK's have done it but then the AC never worked right in my 08 and I use it all the time in my 09 (even with the doors off) so it never settles..
-Christoph

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Sounds Bad