Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Airbag warning light.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag warning light.

So my sever year old and I decided to get out of the house and go for a ride. She weighs about 55 lbs. When she sits in the front passenger seat the airbag is supposed to be off. Sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. This evening the passenger side airbag light was off at first then when it finally came on, showing that her airbag should be off then the red airbag light on the dash also came on. I stopped the Jeep and turned it off then back on and the red dash light again came on. It now comes on whether or not anyone is sitting in the passenger seat. I checked under the seat and there is nothing that may interfere with the function of the passenger seat sensors.
Has anyone else had the red airbag light come on and stay on?
I guess I will have to schedule an appointment with the Jeep service dept. next year. Maybe they will know about the recall by then.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely have it checked out by the dealer, ASAP!!!

Airbag may go off on it's own. Red light indicates a problem with the system.

As for children sitting on the front seat, from what I read and understand the light may not necessarily come on if a child sits in the seat. The air bag "weighs" what's in the seat and will deploy the air bag at whatever force "it" determines is necessary. I know a fully deployed airbag comes out at 300km/h.

My 11 year old son who weights 50-65lbs. didn't have the light come on.

Just my 2 cents, would definitely take it to the dealer though if it stays on.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Funny thing. This morning I found an small collapsing umbrella under the passenger seat and moved it. Now I can't get the red airbag warning light to come back on. I guess I will keep an eye on it for a while before taking it back to the service dept.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

For now, put your daughter in the back seat...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red dashboard airbag warning light

I had the same red light come on while I was driving down the highway. I found out that the passenger's seat was not locked down and once I locked it, no problem since.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

What do you mean, "locked down" and furthermore how is that done? I have an appointment to get my airbag checked out for the same problem, if I can save the time though, that would be great.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Default Please read this...

I had an airbag deploy, explode, go off or however you want to describe it in a rental car just as I was leaving LAX one night. I was by myself and didn't hit or get hit by anything- it just went off- and yes, it scared the crap out of me. while I'd seen film of airbags deploying it was extremely concussive inside the car. I can see why they injure/ kill kids. If you think it's acting funny or inoperative in any way I strongly urge you to have it checked and place your most prized possessions (your kids) in the rear seats until then. I'm usually pretty low key about this stuff but hey better safe than sorry. Just my .02 cents hope it didn't sound like I was railing on anyone.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

I had my DRIVER side airbag light come on at the same time as my passenger side. I had nothing in the passenger seat at the time. It stayed on for my entire 50 mile drive. Anyone had the driver side airbag light come on?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

My light came on turned out it wasa software issue the dealer reloaded the software and it has since gone away.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have an 07 X, and the driver side airbag light comes on, then goes off then comes on then goes off. it never just stays off or on. it started aboot a month ago. ive disconected my battery let it sit for aboot an hour. same thing. unpluged the sensors under both the seats blew em out incase any dust had got in em , had it at the dealer for an oil change and the when the guy brought me my papers he said,"your air bag light is on" i said yeah it just started happening and he said "its because of your bumper, its aftermarket" i was like uh my buddy's jeep sitting out there has my old aftermarket bumper on his jeep and i never had any problems when it was on mine, and this bumper my dad had on his jeep for aboot 4.5 yrs i just put it on aboot 5 months ago. never had any problems so i doubt its from an aftermarket bumper. he then said "well its from the bumper we cant do anything aboot it" so i looked at my buddy and he looked at me and we were like uhhh ok...., on the ticket wright up he gave me it says "airbag light on, cause aftermarket bumper". so is this a bad sensor or is this the clockspring issue?

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light.