Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Am I prewired for fog lights?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I prewired for fog lights?

I just got my '08 JK X and I wanted to replace the front bumper with the one that has integrated fog lights. Do I come pre-wired for fog lights were all I would need to get is the bump, fog lights and a factory switch? It is dark outside so I would go check now but I can't see anything.

If anyone has a bumper with integrated fog lights they want to sell, let me know.

AGT
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chances are you may have some of the harness but you would still need a piece that normally mounts from the OEM foglights back.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue; my son worked at a jeep dealership and got me a bumper with the lights and also the wire harness; but the harness is only 12 inches long and I can't find any connection point on the factory run harness to plug in to? Of course I haven't yet dug too deep into it yet; but I plan on it within the next couple weeks; if you haven't found any answers by then I'll respond to you with a message to what I found out. Oh by the way I have a stock bumper without fog light inserts now, if anyone needs one.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Try any jeep dealer, and ask if they have any used ones, alot of times they get people who special order bumpers and have the dealer install them, leaving the dealer with the stock one. That's how I got mine, and the story I have is, I also bought the wire harness, but it was only 12 inches long, and I have yet to find a factory connection within that range; so I'm sure I will have to install the complete harness assembly.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_1001.htm
For the OP I would just order this if I were you...it will give you everthing but the bumper all in one nice package for around 125.

For the other guy I would reco just going to the dealer and give him part number 82211870 and ask for the installation instructions. Or take a look at the PDF installation guide for these fogs http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3238&pc=28545
These are the fogs that the dealer will sell you as an accessory if you buy a base X. From this kit you just need the multi switch, harness (which you have)....these hook up exactly the same as bumper integrated ones but IMHO look ricey. Maybe the guide will help you
Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I prewired for fog lights? Simple answer: NO.

Unless the Jeep came from the factory with fog lights installed it is NOT wired for them. Jeep does NOT install the wiring or the switch for them unless it is purchased from the factory with the foglight option. There are no hidden wirres you can use. There is a bundle that runs across the front of the Jeep but those wires are NOT for the fogs, they are part of the ESP/ABS system and if you hack into them, you'll be very sorry.

Jeep used multiplex wiring, so it unfortunately isnt as easy as chopping a wire like it used to be, the lights are computer controlled now.

If you want factory style fogs with the factory switch, you will need to buy the Mopar kit that has the multiswitch for the steering column and all the associated wiring as mentioned in the post above available from Quaratec or other Mopar parts dealers.

If you have the bumper and just want to wire in the fogs without caring about the multiswitch, you will need a switch and relay and wire them in yourself.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-15-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

I just got the OEM kit from mopar-accessories.com. Gonna install them this weekend. I just need to try and find a dealership that doesn't try and rip me off to activate them. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Am I prewired for fog lights?