Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any good experience with replacing factory JK speakers?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good experience with replacing factory JK speakers?

I've read a lot of the reviews on crutchfield and several sites that sell replacement speakers for the JK and have heard such mixed results. This is a debacle because I'm absolutely at a standstill as to which speakers actually pose a decent upgrade. It almost sounds like keeping the stock ones may actually be better.

I hear a lot of aftermarket speakers sound "tinny" if the base is mid-level or higher. I hear that the highs are better but at a loss of the lows. My question is if anyone has actually had good experience over a decent period of time with aftermarket speakers for the JK (I have a 2017 unlimited)

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Using the search bar toward the top with 'replacement speakers' or 'speaker upgrade' gets a few results.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...pgrade-221486/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...tro-rr-333254/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...eakers-338650/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...em-h-u-226953/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...system-275953/

Old 07-06-2017, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate those finds very much, and i looked through them all. But they're mostly peoples builds and build list which is nice to see what people are putting in. But I was more so looking for personal experience with replacement speakers that people can attest to the fact that they're better than stock.

From looking through those threads, it seems starting with upgrading the head unit is a good idea. So I'm glad to have taken that away from that.

Again, any good experience with a replacement? I hear too many conflicting reviews from people who just installed them that day. Anyone have replacements in place for a good amount of time and are happy with the difference over the OEM speakers?

Thanks for the post though Jedg
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mlord
I appreciate those finds very much, and i looked through them all. But they're mostly peoples builds and build list which is nice to see what people are putting in. But I was more so looking for personal experience with replacement speakers that people can attest to the fact that they're better than stock.

From looking through those threads, it seems starting with upgrading the head unit is a good idea. So I'm glad to have taken that away from that.

Again, any good experience with a replacement? I hear too many conflicting reviews from people who just installed them that day. Anyone have replacements in place for a good amount of time and are happy with the difference over the OEM speakers?

Thanks for the post though Jedg
I'll weigh in on this since I revamped my entire system about a couple months ago. First, I definitely think that replacing the speakers is a must. Granted, I did this along with everything else so I cant speak for how they would be with the stock head unit etc. I went with all new speakers (polks), a pioneer head unit, an alpine 5-channel amp and a JL Audio sub box with 2 10s. The system blows the stock one away. At first my ears were actually hurting and I found the tweeters to be very harsh. After dialing in the EQ and saving the settings everything sounds great. It performs very well with the top off and cruising at highway speeds. I actually wish it was a little louder. Im not sure the speaker placement in the JKs are optimal but you can definitley get a much much better system happening in it. I'm mainly a rock guy so I wasnt looking for booming bass. The setup I have suits my needs perfectly and I have a bass knob controller as well to dial in the amount of bass. I did the entire install myself thanks to some youtube videos...and I am not a car audio guy. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for something quick, easy, and want to keep your factory head unit then look at the kits Quadratec offers. I swapped mine out with the larger Kicker speakers for the dash and doors. I also picked up a set of the replacement tweeters that they sell. It is all plug and play and took me a little over an hour. It definitely sounds better. I don't have a problem hearing it at highway speeds with the top down.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Son and I installed 2 pair of Kenwood KFC-1795PS speakers in my wife's '17 Sahara JKU this morning.
We added polyfill inside the area around the speakers in the soundbar and in the front speaker boxes.
She has the base 130S radio and there is a noticable improvement in sound clarity and the Bass, while not subwoofer like, is definitely much better than stock.

I went with these speakers because a head unit upgrade is also in order and these will compliment it well.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I shitcanned the factory speakers in my '08 and opted for Polk 6.5" components. I popped the stock tweets out of the tombstones, did some modifications and put the new tweeters in with a little epoxy. They look like they belong. Front and rear drivers swapped out, and the fronts were fun with the sport cage in place. I drilled a couple of holes and mounted the tweeters in the rear sound bar. The factory unit is long gone. My next target is the factory amp and the sub. It needs a little more bottom end, but is night and day from what the factory "Infinity" system was.

I got my gear from Crutchfield for practically nothing thanks to a bunch of accumulated points. They're hard to beat for the car audio as they come with the adapter rings, the plugs, and great destuctions to get the job done.

Quick Reply: Any good experience with replacing factory JK speakers?