Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any luck with aftermarket key fobs?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any luck with aftermarket key fobs?

My wife lost one of our keys a while back, now the one we have stopped working even with a new battery, the price from the dealership is crazy. Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket ones available - https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...ht-3btn-x2.htm

It says you need to go to a dealership or a locksmith to reprogram if you don't have two working fobs, the Stealership says it's over $100 to program the remote key fob, that's nuts!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only had one key for my 09 jk to begin with. Ordered one from Extra-Partss on eBay. Had it cut at hardware store and programmed at dealer. It worked fine so I ordered a second one. Had it cut at hardware store and programmed myself since I had two keys. Both of these are the 3 button key for $29.95. That was February 2014. Still working fine.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. I have three keys now as I had to replace one. Make sure your key code matches is all I had to do. They come in all kinds of colors as well. Ordered mine off Amazon for just under $29 for two. All work great. Make sure the keys are cut prior to dealer programming. Can't do it without. Dealer wanted $60 to cut them. Went across the street to Lowes $3. Done. Programming had a fee of $65.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I got 2 for $29 on Amazon just in case. When the dealer cut and programmed them I think it was $60, one key has a tight fit but that's because of the key cutter and it will loosen up if I decide to use it more. Here's the link hope it helps!
KeylessOption Keyless Entry Remote Control Car Key Fob Replacement for OHT692427AA KOBDT04A (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTHZEZK..._o-5XxbGQRWNG5
Old 09-01-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

I purchased an additional warranty from jeep and included was three free replacement keys. I walked out of the dealer with three keys and still have 2 more free under the coverage. You may want to see if have similar coverage.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this key for my 12 JKU. Went to my dealer parts department and got my "pin" number print out for free. Then went to my local locksmith. $38 + the cost of the key later in less than 5 minutes have a nice working spare https://www.ebay.com/itm/271967641609

Quick Reply: Any luck with aftermarket key fobs?