Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

anyone running higher wattage h13 bulbs?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running higher wattage h13 bulbs?

I'd love to do the Stern upgrade but it's just not going to happen, with that being said I would like to throw some more light out there(with out using my 4 KC's). I'm in the mountains and I'm sure that I could "get away with" using some higher wattage lights on the one and only HWY up here. I'd like to order some either 80/100w or 90/130w, ........just looking for opinions and on line store recomendations.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The problem with the JK headlights is in the stock reflector. Short of changing that, all you can really do is light up a bit brighter that weird, narrow strip that the Jeep engineers chose for you to see. It's pretty sad. I suggest checking out the Delta Quad Bars if you'd be okay with lighting similar to what 90% of American vehicles come with from the factory (the rest coming with HIDs--except the JKs).
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

ok hid's are great but I don't have that kind of cash right now and I've got 4 130w KC's for off the road but I'm looking to just do a simple and very inexpensive way of putting more light down the road, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this option.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8000ft
ok hid's are great but I don't have that kind of cash right now and I've got 4 130w KC's for off the road but I'm looking to just do a simple and very inexpensive way of putting more light down the road, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this option.
$88 dollars for a Very Good HID kit...That's too much?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

88$ ? now I'm interested.......link please.........
Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 8000ft
88$ ? now I'm interested.......link please.........
PM sent to you
Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please do everyone on the road a favor and DO NOT run HIDs in the factory housings. Not only is it illegal, but it will give everyone terrible glare and be very dangerous.

The stock housings and reflectors are garbage and putting HIDs in them is a terrible idea.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Please do everyone on the road a favor and DO NOT run HIDs in the factory housings. Not only is it illegal, but it will give everyone terrible glare and be very dangerous.

The stock housings and reflectors are garbage and putting HIDs in them is a terrible idea.
That's not true at all. If you properly aim the stock housings they will blind NO ONE! I never get bright lighted...EVER! I spent some time adjusting them and making sure that oncoming traffic does not have any annoying glare. In fact the stock housings will prevent you from getting a ticket. They are 100% DOT approved. The bulb only produces the light the housing aims the light! If you are getting upset from driver with bright light in your eyes then ask them to aim them properly. Don't just go blaming the bulbs on the problem. Poorly aimed housings blind people not the bulbs.....
Old 06-15-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

I actually started thinking about this last night in bed(not reading the previous posts) putting in a HID bulb OR a bigger wattage bulb is doing the same thing, more light. At the moment I'm leaning towards the bigger bulb. 90/130w. simply because of costs.
still looking for user opinions and links to good stores.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can tell you right off the bat that higher wattage bulbs will be way too hot for the plastic factory housings. With the CAN-BUS you might experience lights that flicker or flat out wont work at all not to mention the stock wiring is garbage, you would also need to upgrade the lighting harnesses. Save your money and buy some Hella E-codes and do the relay mod found on this forum. I spent about $110 total and the difference is night and day (no pun intended)

Quick Reply: anyone running higher wattage h13 bulbs?