Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone switch their fogs to running lights, and then add aux. lights?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone switch their fogs to running lights, and then add aux. lights?

Here's what I want to do. I always drive with my fog lights on along with my headlights. I want to make it so the fog lights get power like the running lights, then add 2 lights on my bumper in front of the grill and use the stock fog light switch to power turn them on.

Anyone done that?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

I turned my fogs into day time runners using a pro-cal. I would think you could tap that switch wire for your new ones, but why not use an after market switch?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edge Hawk
Here's what I want to do. I always drive with my fog lights on along with my headlights. I want to make it so the fog lights get power like the running lights, then add 2 lights on my bumper in front of the grill and use the stock fog light switch to power turn them on.

Anyone done that?
Imagination and Money are the only limiting factors for what you can do.

Cut the wires to the fog lights. And rewire them to aftermarket style.
Use the fog light circuit to trip the relay of your new lights.

Besides being illegal to opperate Driving Lights with Low Beams. It's disrespectful to your fellow drivers.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Imagination and Money are the only limiting factors for what you can do.

Use the fog light circuit to trip the relay of your new lights.

Besides being illegal to opperate Driving Lights with Low Beams. It's disrespectful to your fellow drivers.
The auxiliary lights would be for off road use, so that's not an issue. I don't think cops woud like 8" driving lights on there either LOL.

I don't want to have all these extra switches everywhere. Since I'm always driving with my fogs on, it seemed like an easy way to free up a switch. I'd want to get some factory clips for the electrical. I know anything can be done, but just seeing if anyone here as already done it so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Evereybody does electrical a little bit different. As long as it's done safely. And works how you want it to. Then the differences don't matter.

Only use an accessory circuit to trigger the relay. ( No switch )

Quick Reply: Anyone switch their fogs to running lights, and then add aux. lights?