Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone upgrade their interior/exterior lighting?

Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone upgrade their interior/exterior lighting?

I’m looking at installing some (2-3) LEDs, maybe two facing down on the side steps and one facing down under the exterior side mirrors for entry.

Anyone do this?

what LEDs ?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I have not done this myself, but seems like the step portion of the lights wouldn't be hard to do. The mirror would be a little more entailed as you'd have to route the wiring through the mirror/door, down to the bottom of the door (behind the molding), through the wire loom from door to body, and then tap to the appropriate wiring inside. I'd think the most simple wire to tap would be the wires running on the passenger side floorboard (under the door trim) that then runs up the passenger side b-pillar to the courtesy light. Someone might have a better idea, but that is where I'd tap if it were me. Seems like a decent bit of work for those mirror lights....but possible. I've replaced a mirror before....it's not hard to remove the actual glass portion so you have access behind it.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have not done this myself, but seems like the step portion of the lights wouldn't be hard to do. The mirror would be a little more entailed as you'd have to route the wiring through the mirror/door, down to the bottom of the door (behind the molding), through the wire loom from door to body, and then tap to the appropriate wiring inside. I'd think the most simple wire to tap would be the wires running on the passenger side floorboard (under the door trim) that then runs up the passenger side b-pillar to the courtesy light. Someone might have a better idea, but that is where I'd tap if it were me. Seems like a decent bit of work for those mirror lights....but possible. I've replaced a mirror before....it's not hard to remove the actual glass portion so you have access behind it.
thats what I’m planning. To tap into the wire that runs up to the dome light on the sound bar. I got the lights ordered.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep us updated, this sounds interesting.

I'm with Resharp001... find the wire in the passenger side floorboard loom.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So i have a buddy that did something similar but used the Rigid boat deck lights. He used the wiring from the stock dome light but has taken the sound bar out completely. He used those lights as he knows they are water proof for when he leaves the top off. Would be nice to see a budget friendly version for myself

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade their interior/exterior lighting?