Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?

Hey, does anyone have a Carpaly receiver installed in their JK? I actually just noticed these as I am looking to upgrade my stock Sport system. I saw that Mike Taylor from Rebel Offroad put a Pioneer Avic-8000NEX in his "Ironman" JKU and it looks awesome!

I like the idea of the integration for Apple products.

But I am torn between a simple receiver or the more advanced receiver:
Basic:
Pioneer makes the App4 (sbh-da120)
AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) - Smartphone Receiver with 6.2" Capacitive Touchscreen Display, Apple CarPlay?, Bluetooth®, Siri® Eyes Free, Android? Music Support, Pandora®, FLAC Audio Support, and On-Screen Access to Compatible Apps | Pioneer Electronics US
Or
Alpine has the iLX-007
Alpine iLX-007 Digital media receiver with Apple CarPlay? at Crutchfield.com

Both have real good reviews but just basically act (as I take it) as a larger screen of your phone with no extras or frills. No DVD, no built-in GPS, no ability to add backup camera

Or there is the Avic-NEX units from Pioneer. The 7000 or 8000 has DVD player and built in GPS besides the apple maps. Plus the 8000 series has a better touch screen than other models. But it's $1099! And a new 8100 series is supposedly coming out in April 2015 that is going to be even better but for $1400!
Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

So, anyone have any input, reviews, pics mounted in a JK? Will they even fit into JKs without modification ?

Last edited by NateSamJK13; 03-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NateSamJK13
Hey, does anyone have a Carpaly receiver installed in their JK? I actually just noticed these as I am looking to upgrade my stock Sport system. I saw that Mike Taylor from Rebel Offroad put a Pioneer Avic-8000NEX in his "Ironman" JKU and it looks awesome!

I like the idea of the integration for Apple products.

But I am torn between a simple receiver or the more advanced receiver:
Basic:
Pioneer makes the App4 (sbh-da120)
AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) - Smartphone Receiver with 6.2" Capacitive Touchscreen Display, Apple CarPlay?, Bluetooth®, Siri® Eyes Free, Android? Music Support, Pandora®, FLAC Audio Support, and On-Screen Access to Compatible Apps | Pioneer Electronics US
Or
Alpine has the iLX-007
Alpine iLX-007 Digital media receiver with Apple CarPlay? at Crutchfield.com

Both have real good reviews but just basically act (as I take it) as a larger screen of your phone with no extras or frills. No DVD, no built-in GPS, no ability to add backup camera

Or there is the Avic-NEX units from Pioneer. The 7000 or 8000 has DVD player and built in GPS besides the apple maps. Plus the 8000 series has a better touch screen than other models. But it's $1099! And a new 8100 series is supposedly coming out in April 2015 that is going to be even better but for $1400!
Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

So, anyone have any input, reviews, pics mounted in a JK? Will they even fit into JKs without modification ?
Hey I'm in the same boat, but am going with the NEX4000. From the research I did, it has a lot more features than the iLX-007 (XM radio for example), and has a lot more functionality if your iPhone is not connected, and is sounds better. The price is about the same too. My buddy has one in his 2015 Subaru WRX and it really is an awesome unit. I do think the iLX-007 looks better, but when you don't have a phone connected all you get is a sad looking interface for regular FM radio and XM. No bluetooth even! You can get the NEX4000 from Crutchfield with all the adapters and the XM module for $740 shipped.

Oh and the "NEW" 4100, 8100, etc are the exact same hardware, they just have added support for Android Auto.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

I was about to pull the trigger on an AppRAdio 3/4 until I realized they dont support siriusxm tuners... you can play through the APP on your phone, but youre SOL if in an area with no service.. I went with the 4000nex
Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanx for the heads up on the satellite radio! Does the NEX4000 fit in your dash with no issues/mods? And is the NEX4000 touchscreen any good? I thought I read only the 8000 has a screen similar to the iPhone screens and the rest are difficult to use and less responsive
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx for the heads up on the satellite radio! Does the NEX4000 fit in your dash with no issues/mods? And is the NEX4000 touchscreen any good? I thought I read only the 8000 has a screen similar to the iPhone screens and the rest are difficult to use and less responsive
I haven't installed it yet on my end, but from what I read the unit fits in almost perfectly with the dash adapter. You might have to trim a very small piece of the inner dash, but no major mods are needed. I've played with the NEX4000 and its as responsive as any OEM screen, I had no issues at all. The 8000 is supposed to be a little smoother, but because it is capacitive you cannot use it with gloves on. Also, the screen will have more glare than the resistive screens. Capacitive is nice for tablets and phones, but IMO resistive is the way to go in a Jeep.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

I will be installing mine today and take pics and give feedback. As far as I've read the screen is great. I picked the NEX over the basical avh5700 and what not due to people saying the speed and lag was next to 0 on the 4000nex.

I'll report back on the install too. As for the satellite, yea that was a deal breaker as I listen to XM more than anything.

As far as the android capability I have a few modified APKs I've found on forums that are supposed to allow for full screen mirroring on the 4000nex which will be awesome with my LG G3 and any/all apps.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanx momento,

Def gonna need some pics, interested in seeing the final product!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx momento,

for sure... on a side note, anyone have any idea how vewntilated rockford amps need to be? It's this kind below... I want to mount my sub amp inside the little pull out tray, and then it's covered by the fold up and rear floor mat.. just worried about overheating

Click image for larger version

Name:	x575801s-f_dg.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	599653
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx momento,

My phone died mid installation and I was in the moment so didnt get a ton of pics. I will take a pic of the finished product later on but loving this deck so far. Boots quick. Bluetooth and XM both load quickly if you have them previously on.

I think the most awesome feature so far, is the individual volume settings. Radio/XM/BT/AV all have different volume profiles. For example, my bluetooth streaming is much quieter than sirius so on the uconnect if I had bluetooth blaring then switched to sirius, the volume was way up and usually scared me or hurt my ears.

Well on the 4000nex (not sure about other models) you can have bluetooth at say 10 volume, and sirius at 15 volume. When you switch between the two, it goes back to the previous profile/volume for each input. AWESOME.

Custom wallpapers were a breeze. Loving this deck so far. Going to finish my amp install for my sub and backup camera tomorrow. Also, the volume and ooomph on stock speakers is miles ahead of the stock unit. I am still going to put components, but the factory system is way louder and clearer. I was skeptical of the "alpine premium" system that comes in the saharas, but it really does sound good. The only reason I am going to an amp is because with an aftermarket unit + stock amp, only 1 channel is kept. You have to hook the pioneer front channel to the amp rear. I def want all channels.

Here is a quick pic I snapped this morning (BT streaming a podcast from my Google Play Music):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150305_072655.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	599811
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150305_072655.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	599810  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Waze on ios8 worked with something out there right now. Putting off a purchase until that happens.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?