Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aux/House battery setup in the rear of a JKU part time?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aux/House battery setup in the rear of a JKU part time?

Here is what I want to do.

(1) have a battery isolator setup run from the car battery to a place (preferably in the back of the JKU) which is fused, and has a cutoff switch where a house/aux battery will be placed part time.

(2). The setup needs to allow for the house battery be easily connected and disconnected without leaving a hot circuit open when not in use.

Does anybody have any good suggestions for placement of this?

(I do not want a duel battery under the hood).

thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run dual batteries under the hood as is generally the practice. I'm curious as to your concerns of having two under the hood.

If I were to put a battery in the cabin it would only be an Advanced Glass Matt (AGM) battery. My concerns would be for fumes, explosion (I had a battery explode in one of my Jeeps and my engine compartment caught fire as a result), I would also make sure it was totally secure and contained in case of accident or rollover.

My $.02 worth.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
I run dual batteries under the hood as is generally the practice. I'm curious as to your concerns of having two under the hood.

If I were to put a battery in the cabin it would only be an Advanced Glass Matt (AGM) battery. My concerns would be for fumes, explosion (I had a battery explode in one of my Jeeps and my engine compartment caught fire as a result), I would also make sure it was totally secure and contained in case of accident or rollover.

My $.02 worth.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
thanks, concern is the expense and surgery of making room for a second battery. Seems excessive given the videos I've seen.

I believe I've figured it out. Give me some time and I'll post back with my solution.

thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

One way to do it.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Very cool. I really like it!

thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Aux/House battery setup in the rear of a JKU part time?