Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

AUX Reverse Lights

Old 07-21-2018, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUX Reverse Lights

I have the MLC-6 switch pod from rough country. I have aux back up lights that I'd like to put on. I'd like them to work when I put the jeep in reverse as well as when I hit a switch on the pod. How can I do this ?! I've looked up alot of different wiring and they are all different. Thanks!

Of course I didn't read the sticky! Please delete, and I'll post in the proper sub!

Last edited by Joey King; 07-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the below thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...uested-316833/
Old 07-27-2018, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We did an extensive write-up on this in 2009, and it was the go-to solution for several years on several forums until the JKF's new formatting made our post unreadable. After a quick glance at the thread referenced above, I feel kind of bad that they reinvented the wheel (although the solution is practically identical to ours so perhaps there was a lot of borrowing). Our solution uses a three-way switch: manual on, manual off, triggered by reverse. Contrary to the post linked above, we successfully tapped the reverse wire from the wiring loom next to the passenger seat and ran it to the switch. This way, the switch's icon will illuminate when the lights are turned on manually, or when the vehicle is placed in reverse. The switch label is tied to the dash dimmer, and is illuminated when the vehicle lights are on. Depending on your relays, you might not need to incorporate flyback diodes. For example, some relays have a resistor or diode across the poles to prevent back EMF from coil collapse. Anyway, feel free to reach out if you have specific questions or run into problems. 8+ years, no issues.

Write-up attached, and wiring diagram is below. We made changes since then (Rigids, Cooper Bussman 15303 with relays in the rear cabin, etc.) but the original solution worked well.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
LOD wiring (original).docx (1.79 MB, 73 views)

Last edited by OnBelay; 07-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (07-30-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OnBelays solution is the route I'm going. I'm using an Apollointech contoller myself. I'm replacing one of the SPST switches with an OTRATTW switch. I'll be picking up the reverse power from the grey/white strip wire that's behind the drivers side far left dash access panel and running it with the wiring harness for the overhead switch panel. Her wiring schematic is exactly right for a 7/8 pin switch. Mine has 10 pins unfortunately as it has independent power wiring for the upper and lower position LED's requiring a couple extra jumper wires on the switch.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (08-02-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed some flush mount LED pods in my OEM rear bumper. I just have mine wired into the tail lights but I may have to try this.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152316443@N07/, on Flickr
Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey King
I have the MLC-6 switch pod from rough country. I have aux back up lights that I'd like to put on. I'd like them to work when I put the jeep in reverse as well as when I hit a switch on the pod. How can I do this ?! I've looked up alot of different wiring and they are all different. Thanks!

Of course I didn't read the sticky! Please delete, and I'll post in the proper sub!
This is a great way to go with auxilliary back up lights, that's how I have mine set up. Following the links above will help you get there.

Quick Reply: AUX Reverse Lights