Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery Relay Isolator for JK Overlanding/Camping

Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Relay Isolator for JK Overlanding/Camping

I posted this on the Wrangler forum but haven't gotten any responses.

Questions about this battery isolator for charging while driving.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBYXVS?tag=wranglerforumconvert-20
I'm concerned about what Andrew St Pierre White says about charging an Aux battery. See video

Based on the wiring diagram (see below) I believe this product elevates the problem with the alternator sensing the Aux battery, however I'm not qualified to answer that.

I really don't want to blow $300 when $48 will do.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

deleted post
Old 10-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I got 12 minutes into his video before I couldn't watch anymore. I have dual red tops and a Cole-Hershee isolator. It charges my primary battery to 12.8v (or whatever the magical number is) and then the solenoid connects the second battery and begins charging that one. His analogy of the small pipe filling the secondary battery seems like crap because I have the lead from the positive terminal (alternator connects there) connected directly to the one side of the isolator and large gauge wiring goes to the other positive terminal on my secondary battery. The juice flows freely. I'm yet to have any issues with dead batteries. When you hit a certain level of discharge, the secondary battery isolates itself until the main battery has the proper charge level to begin charging the secondary.

Like anything else- this is the internet and your mileage may vary but dual reds and the Cole-Hersee from Amazon has been plenty enough for me. I have my winch on the secondary battery to avoid killing my primary if I have to winch without the motor running. I almost went with the Stinger brand you've suggested but I stuck with the direct replacement that came with my battery tray.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been using this style for over 20 years. Simple and works.
Painless
https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/40103

Quick Reply: Battery Relay Isolator for JK Overlanding/Camping