Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery suggestions...

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how old/mileage your jeep is/has (it should be under warranty) go get another one from the dealer. Unless you're winching, there is no need to go to an Optima just because it's an Optima. I changed to a yellow top on my TJ only after cashing out the factory one winching about 20 Jeeps up a muddy hill over a 6 hour period. Got in the next morning wouldn't even crank.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default welp

ended up going with a duralast yellow top. got it for 104 installed. The yellow top optima was 100 bucks more. I have a winch coming and I will probably swap for an optima once its installed. Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima blue top for me!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
sorry, I didn't see this sooner Nick, I had a used one on the work bench you could have used.
ah.. no problem. I literally posted this and then jumped it and went to autozone 20 minutes later. I needed to buy one. Wish I would have had the cash for an optima, but Ill live. Oh.. I also got an idea for those Axels you have laying around if youre bored.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hmmm

I have some 4.10 gears coming to put in them and I think they are going into the zeep. We have a buddy that works for eaton and are trying to get some "demo" lockers for them.
ok.. so what is going to become of the axels coming out of the zeep? my idea isnt relevant to those particular axels.... just any axels.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know we havn't got that far yet, what are your thoughts?
I was thinking of tracking some down to fab together some soft of matching trailor... or a tow able tailgating grill. Not much thought put into it yet... just another idea that popped up that doesnt seem like it would be too hard to do.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 1947 willy frame with axles sitting down at my shop right now. even has the skinny tires on it.
ha.. would you want to hack that into a trailor or grill?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe a trailer with a grill in it. Thinking you might have something there.
ha.. the ultimate camping accessory. I think it could work. Only issue I could see you running into is keeping the trailor section protected from the heat of the grill.

Last edited by Nickit1981; 03-07-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue tops are not made for starting. Let us know how long it lasts.
I'll let you know. I don't foresee any problems. Bought one with higher CCA. From the Optima site:

BlueTop Type: 34M
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications

Last edited by rickster; 03-08-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: info
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the owners of a local battery shop here in my area who sells both the Optima as well as the Odyssey.

For years off-roaders have been in love with the Optima and for good reason they've got good cranking power and they lasted...the problem the shop told me is Optima moved it's production overseas and no longer was seeing the same quality of materials (lead for one).

The other day a good friend told me he spent hours trying to diagnose a problem that turned out being traced back to a new Optima battery. He's the second guy in my area with problems with that battery (yellow top).

On the other hand Odyssey uses pure lead with something like 99.99% purity allowing for thinner wall plates (more plates = more power). I was told that they purchased mining agreements to ensure the quality of the material. Not sure if that's true but from everything I've seen and learned Odyssey is the way to go.

Some have said that the Sears Die Hard is a re-branded Odyssey so for me I'm doing research on that battery because if it's true you would get the Sears great warranty for the Die Hard as well and the discounts often offered. Good luck with your selection!

edit:
Yep the same parent company that makes the Odyssey also makes the Sears Die Hard batteries.
http://www.searsholdings.com/pubrel/...-28-0004536634
hxxp://www.enersys.com/

Last edited by sm_rubi; 03-08-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: confirmed

Quick Reply: Battery suggestions...