Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best Battery?

Old 08-12-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would expect an expensive battery to last longer than that. The optima replaced a perfectly good stock battery 6 years old and still going strong. I replaced it to be proactive since it was 6 years old and the optima was supposed to be the best. Oh well live and learn. I've heard that they can be recharged but I really don't want to bother with that. I don't own a charger and have no intention of buying one. Some people might have good luck with these batteries but I didn't so on to other brands. Just my opinion and experience. Take it for what you want.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
I personally went with the Sears Diehard Platinum because it has a better warranty than the Optima's.
That's the same thing I did 3 years ago and can not be any happier same as the odyssey just Sears name on it great warranty and far less expensive than the odyssey if you keep your eyes open they have 20% promos every now and then so then I got mine was under $200 bucks.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stangmike1
That's the same thing I did 3 years ago and can not be any happier same as the odyssey just Sears name on it great warranty and far less expensive than the odyssey if you keep your eyes open they have 20% promos every now and then so then I got mine was under $200 bucks.
I just installed a dual-battery system on my Jeep (quite a lot of work BTW). I tried to get another Group 34 Platinum from Sears, but the word I was getting is that Sears is discontinuing the line (can't verify). So, I went with the Gold series (AGM). I always had good luck with the Platinum, and am sorry that they appear to be discontinuing them.

Anybody else heard anything different?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofall
Yep... that's what I went with...
I did too. Money well spent.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I see this almost 4 year old thread has been revived, and I will say again, as I did 4 years ago I will never buy another Optima.
My first Optima was purchased in 1997 for my then 3 year old 94 XJ, and I must say it was the best battery I ever had during that time. It was a RedTop and lasted 9 years. I purchased another RedTop when it gave up the ghost after many years of torture on that battery, with at least 3 discharges, by leaving my lights on at work for a full 8 hour shift, after which each time with a jump from a friend, it came back to life. The second RedTop installed in 2006 is still in the XJ, as far as I know, as I sold it in 2012. Now moving on to new times. As many of you know, Optima was a great battery back in the Day, but after sometime in 2012, Optima came up in many different forums, and the subject was not a good one, and had to do with alot of failures. The original plant in Aurora Co. was shut down in early 2009, and it's operations moved to Mexico. And how it was shut down is cold. I once had the original clipping from a Denver newspaper, however it has been lost. At any rate 1200 people were laid off, being given the news just before Thanksgiving Holiday. This from a forum:

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Optima Batteries made in mexico
Its official now. I have worked at Optima Batteries for 11 years. In 2000, Johnson controls bought Optima and immediatly began construction of a plant in mexico. We were told that our U.S. plant could not produce enough product so the plant in mexico would be to supply Europe. Slowly but surely, our product lines began being transferred to mexico. Then the week before Thanksgiving, we were told that the U.S. plant will be closed Jan.24 2009. Just thought you all would like to know.

As I stated back in the Day, Optima was the battery. With its spiral AGM technology it was second to none. And as I also stated mine gave me many years of service. Now I prefer to spend my money on a US made battery, and the battery I choose is the DieHard Platinum.
Replaced my 07JKU stock battery with one in 2010 and its still going strong today. Will it last another 5 years? Most likely not, however I doubt I'd get 9 or 10 years on an Optima today. Many say the DieHard Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey. This is not true, however the manufature, EnerSys Corp, who makes the Odyssey also makes the Platinum, with the same specs, at a lower cost and a better warranty.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this thread again.

I'm reading story after story how severe vibration can kill batteries and that gel batteries do much better in that environment.

The roads here in Papua New Guinea are rough... VERY ROUGH. My average speed is 15mph due to road conditions which are rocks stones and potholes.

That being said, as I search for a better battery than OEM, I've narrowed it down to either an Optima yellow-top SC34DU, or an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. The Optima sells for $240 at Quadratec, and the Odyssey for $267 on Amazon.
Optima has 730CCA, Odyssey 850CCA.

I checked into Sears, but the Platinum battery is definitely gone for good. I'm reading not many good things about the newer Optima batteries, but there's so many diehard Optima fans out there chiming in, it's hard to get the real story.

I had an Optima yellow-top in my Cherokee, but I bought it new in 2001, back in "the day".

Thoughts on the best battery if the only roads are bad roads?

Tom in Papua New Guinea
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm using Odyssey Extreme PC1500/34M 850CCA AGM Group 34M Marine Battery. The reason I go with the marine version is that it gives you two additional posts to use for accessories.

I think it was in the $260 range from Amazon.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Racer
<snip> Thoughts on the best battery if the only roads are bad roads? </snip>

Tom in Papua New Guinea
I did a technical review of the Odyssey group 34 battery here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...attery-336829/

Handling high vibration is something Odyssey (and AGM's in general) are known for.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima

go with a Optima Red Top
Old 09-15-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery 2-1/2 years ago and it's been fine. But, the Sears Auto Store that's 40 miles away is now shut down along with the Sears store there. Our small town Sears HomeTown store lists batteries, but no auto service department. Nearest Auto Store is 70 miles away.

One thing to consider about Sears - how much longer will they be in business, or in the battery business?

Quick Reply: Best Battery?