Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Breaker switch instead of fuse?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaker switch instead of fuse?

Anyone hear of a vehicle "breaker box" instead of using auto fuses?

Searched Google for this and found nothing, but wondering if its doable or needed.
I am concerned that after I get all the add on lights, CB, HAM, Winch, etc, ... that I will have some potential electrical problems to be concerned with.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winch would go straight to the battery. It can draw 400Amps (I think) so that is tough to fuse.

The HAM radio should probably go straight to the battery. The mobile all mode 100W rigs go to the battery according ot the instructions. The power and ground lines have their own built in fuses.

I searched "12 VDC circuit breaker" and this was the first link.
texasindustrialelectric.com/breakers.asp

At the top are "breakers" that plug in like fuses. Toward the middle are push button resettable breakers. You would have to build some kind of panel or enclosure. At the very bottom is the first thing that came to my mind when I read this post. Some car audio systems use these. The largest I can find is a 200A made by Stinger.

Some people have built their own electrical distribution centers. Search Bussmann RTMR.

Any follow-on questions?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have one in my shop that came off my CJ-5. I picked up the stainless box from a guy who worked for Amtrak trains. The used 12 volt systems on the passenger trains. It has about 12 breakers that pop out/ push in to reset. They are small and worked great. I've wonder why the auto industry hasn't used them. I'll try to post pic if you want?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess expense and no system critical devices. My best guess
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TIE1ON
Anyone hear of a vehicle "breaker box" instead of using auto fuses?

Searched Google for this and found nothing, but wondering if its doable or needed.
I am concerned that after I get all the add on lights, CB, HAM, Winch, etc, ... that I will have some potential electrical problems to be concerned with.
First of all, on the subject of breakers vs fuses. Breakers are available in a wide varity of sizes. But may not be available in every size that you can find a fuse in. Breakers are easily resetable after a fault. Where as you have to replace a fuse. Breakers are easyer to identify when there has been a fault. Fuses may need a meter to identify that they have blown. Breakers are more expensive than fuses.

I am concerned that after I get all the add on lights, CB, HAM, Winch, etc, ... that I will have some potential electrical problems to be concerned with
This statement is concerning in itself. The breaker / fuse is there to protect a well designed circuit against an unforseen fault. If you design a circuit corectly, then you will probably never replace the fuse.

Vernnz
Winch would go straight to the battery. It can draw 400Amps (I think) so that is tough to fuse.

The HAM radio should probably go straight to the battery. The mobile all mode 100W rigs go to the battery according ot the instructions. The power and ground lines have their own built in fuses.
Every, "every", "EVERY" new system should have a primary fuse. No exceptions!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by R n Y
I actually have one in my shop that came off my CJ-5. I picked up the stainless box from a guy who worked for Amtrak trains. The used 12 volt systems on the passenger trains. It has about 12 breakers that pop out/ push in to reset. They are small and worked great. I've wonder why the auto industry hasn't used them. I'll try to post pic if you want?
Very cool .. yes .. would appreciate photos and any info you have on purchasing some for myself?!

Quick Reply: Breaker switch instead of fuse?