Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Bypassing Ignition key chip

Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most transponder bypass's are temporary and require a chip signal of some sort. Idatalink recently release the CH4 firmware that bypass's through data, you could try something like that but it may not work if the transponder isnt working correctly to begin with.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
thats exactly what its doing....starting for 1-3 seconds, then dying.
Red LED is upper right of fuel guage

did you tow it to the dealer?
Dude, it sounds like you've finally won then...the dealer should be able to reflash for the new jet codes for pretty cheap, took all of ten min for them to do mine...no I didn't have to have the jeep towed, I had one working key, bought two more replacements off ebay for cheap, had them cut for 5 bucks and programmed for 35. With the keys cut but not programmed it would start the engine, then die just like yours...I seriously feel you may have the problem licked...fingers crossed dude
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

AlmightyCrash--You might have better luck trying to hunt up a computer and keys from another JK that's been otherwise totaled. Going through a junkyard you may as well buy new from the dealer, but maybe someone here on the board can work you out a deal. There, sadly, always seem to be one or two mentioned each month.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

...there was a computer for a '07JK auto on ebay for like 180
Old 11-29-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
...there was a computer for a '07JK auto on ebay for like 180
Ouch.
Maybe if we move the decimal two places to the left.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

maybe ill give u the computer out of my jk as long as you can tattoo my company logo on my forehead and then put into words how much i hate it there. That might be nicer then me doing in myself with whatever is in the silverwear drawer. Although me doing it myself at the meeting might get more attention
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Lmao.
Sounds like a plan.
The tattoo, not public suicide.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why does everyone always think the dealer is the only one who can program transponder keys. A competent Locksmith can do it as well and he'll do it in your driveway. No towing to the dealer nonsense.
This is more general knowledge that jeep specific but it is not uncommon for a computer to loose the programing for the keys. In most cases if there is no permanent damage to the computer the keys can just be re-programed in. Call your local locksmith. Find out if there will be a charge if he comes to you and hooks up to the obd2 and the computer still wont take a program.
Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks.
Didn't know that.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Why does everyone always think the dealer is the only one who can program transponder keys. A competent Locksmith can do it as well and he'll do it in your driveway. No towing to the dealer nonsense.
This is more general knowledge that jeep specific but it is not uncommon for a computer to loose the programing for the keys. In most cases if there is no permanent damage to the computer the keys can just be re-programed in. Call your local locksmith. Find out if there will be a charge if he comes to you and hooks up to the obd2 and the computer still wont take a program.
Good Luck.
oddly enough the dealer was cheaper than any smith around here was

Quick Reply: Bypassing Ignition key chip