Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Changing '10 foglights assemblies to '07-09 foglight assemblies

Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing '10 foglights assemblies to '07-09 foglight assemblies

Now before I get dozens of threads about upgrading my OE lighting, that's not what I'm looking to do. For additional lights, I will be adding aux. lights. What I want to do is change my '10 foglight assembly and wiring to an older '07-'09 housing for the ability to use a cheaper and more easily found bulb. I'd like to go into an Autozone or a Pepboys or even the corner gas station and pick a bulb for a burnt out foglight for under 20 bucks. I don't want to have find a dealership and fork over 50+ bucks for ONE burnt out bulb.

All I'm looking to do is cut off the current wires at the bumper, install the housing, wires and bulbs and be done with it. So my question is, if I change housing/bulbs/wireing, will I have issues with the computer?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
A better idea would be to tap into the power on the back of your existing ones and run that as the signal wire to a relay then have the relay send power to your aux lights. Or wire in a completely different switch since there are limits (laws) as to how many front end lights are allowed to be on at 1 time.
What I am looking to do is have OE foglights that are economical. 50+ dollars for a bulb that you can only find at a dealer does not sit well with me. Aux lights will have there own power and switch.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the existing bulb wattage is no great difference with what you want to replace it with, clip the plug (leave a little wire on the old plug in case you want to reinstall), and install your new connectors. Tape securley or shrink tube to provide weatherproofing.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on this idea. I'd love to have '07 - '09 fogs as well, for the simple fact that I can put cheaper aftermarket bulbs in them (like superwhites).

Quick Reply: Changing '10 foglights assemblies to '07-09 foglight assemblies