Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK

Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to somehow customize a hole in the side of the new wheel and find somehwere to mount it in the new wheel. I dont know how easy or hard it will be. Good for me i never used the cruise control.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a pic of the wheel from afar.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Programming the wheel.

I recently got the app "OBD JScan" and changed my tire size, tire pressure range, ECT. I also saw that enabling steering wheel controls was an option so I did it and it took. Problem is I don't have a wheel will stereo controls yet and would like to see if this worked before I buy one. Anyone out there with a 2012 wheel in a 2009 ish JK want to give it a try?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel

Originally Posted by Nhiggins
I recently got the app "OBD JScan" and changed my tire size, tire pressure range, ECT. I also saw that enabling steering wheel controls was an option so I did it and it took. Problem is I don't have a wheel will stereo controls yet and would like to see if this worked before I buy one. Anyone out there with a 2012 wheel in a 2009 ish JK want to give it a try?
So you are saying your cruise function works?
Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kelley1
So you are saying your cruise function works?
What I am saying is I found what looks like a way to POSSIBLY enable the steering wheel functions without going to the dealership. I don't have a wheel with controls. My wheel is the standard 2009 Jeep wheel with no controls but I was wondering if anybody with the wheel swapped from 2012 or higher Jeep has tried this "function Adaptation" from the app. It starnge how the value was disabled and when I selected it it is now enabled even after I did a restart so I don't think it's just retained cache in the software.
The following users liked this post:
Kelley1 (08-04-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Looking to do the same

Hey man I hope you’re still active could you explain a little more how you spliced the horn and how you connected the cruise control stalk?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dash swap

Im very curious how you did a dash swap it looks really good

Originally Posted by Jdbwood

The patriot and compass have the same size steering shaft and spline count as the wrangler jk. The airbag is also the same. I forgot to retrofit my cruise control switch and i tossed it away with my old wheel by mistake. Basically none of the functions work on my newer steering wheel. Itsjust looks nicer to match my 15 jk dash conversion in my 07.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cruise

Hey I’m looking to do this soon could you explain more how the cruise control lever is in place?

Originally Posted by bbaskety
I know this is several years later but i just did this install myself and wanted to update a couple things in case anyone else wanted to do it. I'm going to hopefully answer some questions that didn't get answered throughout the thread. I'm going to post the original post and just edit the things that were missing. Because it's 2018, I was able to use a 2015 steering wheel instead of a 2011 but worked all the same...

I’ve wanted to convert my 2008 style steering wheel to the 2015 Jeep style.

I did tons of research before the conversion so I had an idea of what to expect. The only steering wheel that would work; would be the wheel from the 2011-2015 and later JK or Liberty. I looked into purchasing a new wheel, but the total to build a new steering wheel came to over $1000. Instead, I got the steering wheel in perfect condition from a local junk yard (found by searching Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market). I got the airbag off Ebay. Eventually, I purchased a complete leather steering wheel from a 2015 JK for $75.00 and an airbag from a 2012 Compass for $200.00. I had to buy bolts from Home Depot (M6,1.0, 18mm) to mount the airbag because these are not available from the dealer, but they were under $5.00 with the washers.

The various steering wheel controls (radio, hand-free, etc.) WILL NOT FUNCTION for 2007 – 2010 JKs. The only way to get them to work; would be to have Chrysler re-program the pre-2011 TIPM to recognize the controllers. As someone else on the forum pointed out, the dealer cannot flash the TIPM to accept the input because it was not an option for earlier model years and Chrysler will only push out updates for electronics that were included in the Jeep’s model year sales code catalog. (Still have not seen a fix for this)

The JK airbag connections are the same from 2007-2015, so the airbag was plug and play.

I spliced the connector for the 2015 horn into the wiring harness for the original 2008 steering wheel. (Pictured below, outside white goes to the black wire off the 2015 horn connector. Excuse the bad tape job but I soldered them together. Make sure you give yourself enough room to strip wires when cutting the connector off of the 2008 horn)

My Jeep came stock with cruise and I held out a glimmer of hope that the 2008 TIPM would accept input from the 2011 controller for the cruise commands, but it didn’t. I had to remove the cruise lever from my old steering wheel and mount it to the 2011 steering wheel frame. (I did not actually mount this in because I wasn't sure how the holes would work. Instead I left it loose but the airbag holds it in. It's a little loose but still works fine and doesn't move at all unless I touch it)

So the functions that are working are the functions that I had previously. Considering that this was a purely cosmetic upgrade, I’m fine with that. No codes, no airbag light, horn works, cruise works, and of course it still steers! I’m now debating on whether or not to change out the shroud. I’ve ordered a charcoal one, but I keep changing my mind on whether or not to use it when it arrives. (I already had the black interior, pictured below)

BTW, the 2011 steering wheel is a bit smaller in diameter than the pre-2011 steering wheel. This gives the Jeep a sportier steering feel, which I have grown to appreciate.

Anyhoo, I know many others have had this same upgrade in mind, so I wanted to share my experience. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Did mines this week

Upgraded mines this week also, looks nice

2012 Jeep Liberty / compass on 08 Jeep Wrangler air bag has the same connector
Old 09-02-2021, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Im upgrading to the Carbon digital wheel. They are out of China but are super sweet and really good looking. Im in the process of doing a LS with 10 speed in my 2007 JKU. Been a amazing truck and dont want to sell it. I work in the Marine and Automotive electrical realm and im gonna figure out how to do steering wheel controls and cruise control through the buttons if it kills me. New wheel should be here in about 2 weeks so ill update once i have it.

Quick Reply: Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK