Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N152N
I have a 2010 wrangler sahara and it has bluetooth and voice command feature for mygig nav unit... The thing that sucks is that i always have to push a button on the nav unit to get it working... It may not seem like a pain in the ass, but after a while its so bothersome i find that i tend not to use it. What part number did you use to get an aftermarket switch that works with the factory nav?

Also, so have we determined that there is NO WAY possible to get the steering wheel controls to work. I would really like the volume button to work!!!! I hate the little knob on the MyGig Nav unit, its so small, and if you hit a pot hole while your trying to adjust the volume it either gets crazy loud or too quiet!!!! :( Just annoying

I want to use the CHR550 LockPick with these controls!!!
Go here and see what will work for ya...axxessinterface.com
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that anyone should ever sell their Jeep, but imaging explaining to people why the radio controls on the steering wheel don't work if you did?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, really....LOL....well only reason I'm one of the non sellers is she's paid off, Lifetime warranty and valued right now $8000.00 higher then what I paid for it....thank you jeep resale....but all these rebates and low/no interest loans will hurt Wrangler resale if it keeps up....That's the Biggest factor for higher resale, no rebates offered on new until these last few years and never could get Zero percent interest rate on wranglers...Just like Chevy Vettes etc.....
Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

So the problem for getting the new steering wheel controls to work is that the pre 2011 TIPM's can't be programmed to accept that function. Is it possible to pull the TIPM out of a wrecked 2011 and put it into a 1st gen JK to make it work or are they VIN locked?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work! Since you can't get the controls on the wheel to work for the radio and stuff, you should try to run them to some auxillary stuff (Lights, winch, etc.) Now that would be cool!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cruise

Can you provide some pics of how you mounted the cruise lever to the new steering wheel column? If you have more info about splicing the horn in to that would be great.

TIA!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ahhgh! Why..lol Each to this own...but I find the new steering wheels uuugly. The original JK steering wheel without all the crap on it is like newschool take on an old school take...simple, stupid and big. I love my 2010 steering wheel!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

just wondering if anyone found an aftermarket steering wheel. mine on my 2009 is starting to flake. i like it but new ones are so high priced. not meaning to hijack but thought you guys would prob know
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Miknov
Ahhgh! Why..lol Each to this own...but I find the new steering wheels uuugly. The original JK steering wheel without all the crap on it is like newschool take on an old school take...simple, stupid and big. I love my 2010 steering wheel!
The newer wheel just looks more modern with the controls and small airbag. It's probably one of the the biggest reasons why he did it.

Did you have issues removing the old wheel with a standard puller? I want to pull mine to replace the back plastic cover, but I'm afraid I'm going to break something.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by northsidejeepin
Can you provide some pics of how you mounted the cruise lever to the new steering wheel column? If you have more info about splicing the horn in to that would be great.

TIA!
This is actually pretty simple and easy to do...did it myself. The new style has more grip on it and not as big as a School bus Steering wheel. I did it for me not for others that like to go in a forum knowing they don't like what we are talking about and still have to join in the talk just to say Negative things when they could have not wasted their or more Important, Our time Putting it down.

You do know that the Air Bag on 2007-2010 will not work with the newer 2011-up Steering Wheels?

Last edited by AtlJeepsTer; 11-28-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK