Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Connecting led I/O to work with factory switch

Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting led I/O to work with factory switch

I have a 2014 F 150 FX4 and I recently replaced the bumpers with ICI Magnums and they have square holes for fog lights and no bracket to adapt over from factory so I bought 3 inch LEDs and wiring harness, only thing I am unsure about is the fact it has 3 wires to the switch and I want to use the factory fog light switch that is a pull out of the head light switch, they are one yet independent to each other. Can this be done safely? Would I just need to determine which are the actual positive/negative wires and not the illumination wire for the aftermarket switch that comes with the harness?

Last edited by Quasimoto; 07-21-2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Mispelled title
Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it can be done safely, use a relay. Being a JK (Jeep) forum I have no knowledge of wiring for a F150 but I've done exactly what you want to do when I replaced my factory bumper with a stubby bumper that has an integrated LED light bar
The following users liked this post:
Quasimoto (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

The harness is complete with relay and switch, I just want to use the factory switch instead because I do not want to drill a hole and mount a piece of junk ugly non matching switch provided.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

Just wanted to say thank you and to tell you they are working perfectly; however, at first I thought I had made a mistake or it wasn't going to function and then I snapped and realized you have to have the key in the ON position for the lights to come on! DOH dummy! lol

Quick Reply: Connecting led I/O to work with factory switch