Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Delta Fog Light JK Upgrade Question

Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify a litlle on Dogfx's post. We tried to wire in to the factory harness. When the lights were first turned on they would flash a few times and then go out. We intially thougt it was a bad connection but after doing a continuity check all of the connections were good. The best guess I can come up with is a relay or the computer itself was sensing the difference and shutting them down???

The wiring harness form Delta is really a nice set up. As he said I used the diagram from here and it worked very well and he uses his factory switch to turn them off and on.

I think he was just scared to drill a hole for a switch on the inside, Lol. Just picking on you as usual...

Greg
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The headlights are a thesis in themselves. Jeep really needs to address them.
The terms "pathetic" and "inadequate" come immediately to mind.

There are a lot of different ways to go. I chose to use Sylvania Silverstar bulbs as a replacement for the stock bulbs. I picked them up locally at an auto parts store, but many of the sponsors carry them.

They are IMO far better than the stock bulbs, and for the price, not a bad upgrade. no more real distance to the lights, but appear brighter to me and definitely more white than yellow. IIRC they are about $40 for the pair.

You will however get a bunch of different opinions on this.

I have no personal experience with them to comment on, but Delta makes a complete replacement for around $150, some have gone with HID kits. Those can be quite pricey, and illegal apparently in some places for road use?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

I have seen some Bi-Xenon HIDs on EBay sell anywhere between $129.00 to $500.00. I am a little skittish on the EBay HIDs. Looks like I might go the bulb upgrade and save some money.
Thanks,
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by gt4660
To clarify a litlle on Dogfx's post. We tried to wire in to the factory harness. When the lights were first turned on they would flash a few times and then go out. We intially thougt it was a bad connection but after doing a continuity check all of the connections were good. The best guess I can come up with is a relay or the computer itself was sensing the difference and shutting them down???
Yes, That'd be the computer erroring them out.

The wiring harness form Delta is really a nice set up. As he said I used the diagram from here and it worked very well and he uses his factory switch to turn them off and on.
I am very glad it helped someone out

I think he was just scared to drill a hole for a switch on the inside, Lol. Just picking on you as usual...

Greg
I was to!. The place i put mine (behind the blinker stalk, above the speaker) Is actually, the whole dash. Not just a small chunk of plastic that you can replace if you botch it. I drilled one of my holes to far towards the passenger side, and there wasnt enough room in behind it to get the wires and locking nut on the switch. I ended up egging out the hole to get the switch eeked over enough to get hooked up

There is a gap now around one of those switches, that is just a nagging little piss-me-off. I intend on cutting something to put behind the switches to cover that up someday, just cuz it bugs me.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the HID upgrade myself. I purchased a bi-xenon kit off of ebay for $99 and $34 shipping. It was from a US seller, and arrived within three days of purchase. The lights are for "off-road use only" because they are so much brighter than the stock head lights. But like most people, I've been running mine on the streets. You can get away with this if you will just re-aim the lights after installation so that you're not blinding everyone. Installation was very simple. It only took me about 1 hour, and any novice could do it. As far as the HID's go, I purchased the 6000 Kelvin H13 bi-xenon lamps. As you probably know, the 6000 K describes the color temperature of the light. I was looking for something that resembled a high end luxury head light. In my opinion, the 6000 K may be a little too much. It is white light, but it has a distinct amount of blue in it also. I did some reading before making the purchase, and a lot of people were saying go with the 8000 K or even the 10,000 K, but I wouldn't suggest doing that. With the amount of blue I've got in the 6000 K, the 8's and 10's would definitely be overkill. And the higher the color temperature goes, the less lumenous intensity of the light (meaning less light). If you want the OEM look, you should probably buy a 5000 K kit, or perhaps even the 4300 K kit (which is usually described as OEM). Any of these are going to give you much better lighting that the stock lights. The only negative thing I have to say about the HID kit is in relation to the bi-xenon bulb. This type bulb dims through mechanical movement. As long as the low-beams are on, the light pattern is perfect (see my other thread about light pattern issues). However, when you put them on bright, the light scatters and goes every where. You still have plenty of light on the road in front of you to see by, but the birds in the trees overhead are getting blinded, and the creepy crawlies on the pavement ahead of you are definitely seeing that bright white light everyone talks about just before dying. If I had it to do over again, I would have probably just bought a Xenon kit (less expensive), which doesn't have the dimming capability built in. More or less, it stays on the low-beam setting all of the time. Anyway, I am very pleased with my HID retrofit. Although, I am thinking about investing the money and buying a set of Sylvania Valeo's. I've done some reading on these, and they're supposed to be DOT approved. They cost a bit more change than the HID kits though. I hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Yes, That'd be the computer erroring them out.

I am very glad it helped someone out

I was to!. The place i put mine (behind the blinker stalk, above the speaker) Is actually, the whole dash. Not just a small chunk of plastic that you can replace if you botch it. I drilled one of my holes to far towards the passenger side, and there wasnt enough room in behind it to get the wires and locking nut on the switch. I ended up egging out the hole to get the switch eeked over enough to get hooked up

There is a gap now around one of those switches, that is just a nagging little piss-me-off. I intend on cutting something to put behind the switches to cover that up someday, just cuz it bugs me.

We did not use the swith that came with the Delta kit. he is just using the factory switch.

cheers
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Try to match the Delta Fogs with the Delta replacement heads?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

We did not use the swith that came with the Delta kit. he is just using the factory switch.

cheers

Yeah, i got that.

But i understood about drilling the dash. I have my fogs wired into the stalk just like i had shown in the wiring, but i also have two more sets of lights up there, that i have switches mounted for.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, was confused... Got it now
Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newtybar
Try to match the Delta Fogs with the Delta replacement heads?
I did both

Quick Reply: Delta Fog Light JK Upgrade Question