Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Diagram for SPDT switch and relay for rigid reverse lights

Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagram for SPDT switch and relay for rigid reverse lights

I'm adding some SR-Q's and have confused the hell out of myself looking at diagrams. I am mounting them on top of the tail lights with the rigid brakets. I am hoping to set them up to where:
Position 1 on
Position 2 off
Position 3 on when in reverse.
Does anyone have a diagram for the full set up i.e battery - switch and relay- lights?

Would it be better/easier to mount the relay in the back of the jeep somewhere or under the hood?

I will take plenty of pics for a write up for the next guy in my situation.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put the relay somewhere up front. You will have a wire from your switch, one from battery, ground, and then one out to your new lights. So putting it up front will save on wire and might make it a little easier to look at.

Where the pic says 12v from existing backup switch, that would be a wire you have to splice in to your existing reverse circuit. Don't worry about a fuse here. Your only adding a small amount of power to close the relay and your factory reverse light circuit is already fused.

If your switch is illuminated when the key is on you will also need a switched power wire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	backup-1.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	554323  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent!!

Quick Reply: Diagram for SPDT switch and relay for rigid reverse lights