Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easiest, super affordable way to add bluetooth/streaming audio to older JK radios

Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Easiest, super affordable way to add bluetooth/streaming audio to older JK radios

So I've been using my Lifeproof case on my iphone for the last few years with my AUX cord attached to the factory radio. I finally got sick of screwing and unscrewing the cable into the case to play Pandora or my music. I ran across this JL Audio MBT-RX marine bluetooth areceiver for my river cooler a few years ago. It has worked great and is pretty cheap at only $39.99 from Crutchfield, so I figured why not! It connects with 4 wires...a positive, ground, and a pair of RCA cables. I bought a harness that converts to an AUX cord from two female RCA connectors for $5. So I tied the positive and negative wires to the keyed cigaratte lighter socket, and ran the AUX cord to the AUX port on the front of the radio. I mounted the receiver behind the bezel. It's about half the size of an iphone 5, and just as thin. The only thing you can see is about 2 inches of the AUX cord where it comes out of the side of the bezel and plugs into the radio. My iphone connects to it in less than 3 seconds of the ignition turning on, and has a range of around 35 feet. Sounds just as good as it always has! The only downside to it, is it doesn't have the ability to stream phone calls. I know there are similar receivers with different brands out there. I'm a JL Audio fan though, so I went with it. 4 years running without any issues.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136911...bt-rx&skipvs=T
Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a super cool idea and thanks for the write up. Can you post some pictures so those who need pictures, like me, can see how you have it set up?

R/
Will
Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be happy to, but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can do it. I'm working out of town until the 24th, and the Jeep is snuggled up at home in my garage.

Quick Reply: Easiest, super affordable way to add bluetooth/streaming audio to older JK radios