JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Easy Rocker Switch Mount Above Rear View??? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/easy-rocker-switch-mount-above-rear-view-315449/)

Coastlife 01-04-2015 05:45 PM

Easy Rocker Switch Mount Above Rear View???

I just bought some KC lights and I'm looking for directions on how to wire them up to rocker switches. I'd like to wire a rocker panel above the rear view mirror but there doesn't seem to be a cheap option for that, so I may just go with the space in front of the shifter.
I'm not entirely sure how the power fairies work but I'm sure I can figure it out with some guidance or some photo directions. Is there a link on the forum for what I'm wanting to do? or can someone Explain Like I'm Five?

JK505 01-04-2015 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Coastlife (Post 4033737)
I just bought some KC lights and I'm looking for directions on how to wire them up to rocker switches. I'd like to wire a rocker panel above the rear view mirror but there doesn't seem to be a cheap option for that, so I may just go with the space in front of the shifter.
I'm not entirely sure how the power fairies work but I'm sure I can figure it out with some guidance or some photo directions. Is there a link on the forum for what I'm wanting to do? or can someone Explain Like I'm Five?

I don't know exactly what you bought (if you show us what lights, we can help more :thumbsup:) but because KC makes them, they'll most likely have a wiring harness and a little switch included. The harness will plug into the lights one side, a switch on the other and also connect to the battery. The order I usually do things is this.
1: Mount the lights to the bumper or bracket where I want them.
2: Pull the switch wires through the hole the runs under the cowl and into the side of the dash (a wire coat hanger helps with this when straightened out)
3: At this point, either drill into the dash and attach the switch, use sticky Velcro to stick in on the dash, or wire it to the aftermarket switch of your choice. (Ie: in front of shifter, A pillar switches)
4: Once you have your switch hooked up, disconnect the battery and attach the eyes to the battery.
5: Reconnect the battery and plug the harness into the lights and switch.
6: Turn the switch on and see if they work
7: Once everything checks out, use zip ties and common sense to clean up the wires and tuck them away.

Hope this helps. If I missed something, just ask and I'll try to clarify :beer:

WHT_JKUR 01-04-2015 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You might consider this an a-pillar set up and wire the extra switches. Clean look and gives you the ability to expand Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1...lar+switch+pod

Make sure you get the one for your year jeep ...2007-2011 or 2012+ Here is a wiring diagram I found online Attachment 590619

Coastlife 01-04-2015 07:27 PM

kc 6" Apollo Pro Long Range

I have an '08 Sahara. Here are the lights I bought:KC HiLites 6" Apollo Pro Long Range Lights with FREE Windshield Mount Brackets for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
they come with windshield brackets. I plan on running the wires under the hood under the piece that covers the wiper motors and probably zip tie the wires to this harness. I plan on eventually getting a CB and a winch, and would like a rocker panel with green switches to match the black and green theme of my jeep:
OTRATTW :: Switch w/Rocker :: Contura X :: Plain Rockers :: CONTURA X SEALED ROCKER SWITCH GREEN LENS

JK505 01-04-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Coastlife (Post 4033786)
I have an '08 Sahara. Here are the lights I bought:KC HiLites 6" Apollo Pro Long Range Lights with FREE Windshield Mount Brackets for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
they come with windshield brackets. I plan on running the wires under the hood under the piece that covers the wiper motors and probably zip tie the wires to this harness. I plan on eventually getting a CB and a winch, and would like a rocker panel with green switches to match the black and green theme of my jeep:
OTRATTW :: Switch w/Rocker :: Contura X :: Plain Rockers :: CONTURA X SEALED ROCKER SWITCH GREEN LENS

Those lights will let you do what I posted up above. If you look in the engine bay, there's existing wiring running along the fire wall side. You can also run the wires with them and zip tie them to it and you'll never be able to tell. When you go to wire the switch, just connect everything like the diagram above shows. You'll be good to go

14Sport 01-05-2015 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR (Post 4033757)
You might consider this an a-pillar set up and wire the extra switches. Clean look and gives you the ability to expand Here is a link.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 17235.96 Black Left Side A-Pillar 4-Switch Pod Kit: Automotive

Make sure you get the one for your year jeep ...2007-2011 or 2012+ Here is a wiring diagram I found online Attachment 590619

:thumbsup: First time I saw one of my schematics posted in a thread by someone else.

JK505 01-05-2015 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 4033863)
:thumbsup: First time I saw one of my schematics posted in a thread by someone else.

You've officially made it, sport. :D

14Sport 01-05-2015 05:42 AM

Feels that way. :D Us electrical guys gotta stick together, JK505. We are severely outnumbered by suspension guys.

espi 01-05-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 14Sport (Post 4033863)

Nice Schematic, Very clear and concise. I like that you wired the relay directly to 12v and use the GND to control the relay. A lot of guys think you need to use the positive, but its much better to have less power running though your firewall and safer against shorts. Only downside is switch lighting, but a single smaller gauge 12v line can take care of that. It is funny how electricity is seen as witchcraft and magic to some people.

14Sport 01-05-2015 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by espi (Post 4033902)
Nice Schematic, Very clear and concise. I like that you wired the relay directly to 12v and use the GND to control the relay. A lot of guys think you need to use the positive, but its much better to have less power running though your firewall and safer against shorts. Only downside is switch lighting, but a single smaller gauge 12v line can take care of that. It is funny how electricity is seen as witchcraft and magic to some people.

Agreed. Sure beats running 2 wires per switch into the tub. And since most switches are LEDs these days, you can grab that 12V from inside the tub and chain them together. You can even make them dimmable with the dash lights. I have gotten feedback that it is better to switch the feed but I've been doing it this way for years without any problems. I did state in a previous thread that I wasn't sure whether the LED that comes on with switch activation would light if the switch had the LED wired in (with no pin). Another member, I can't remember his name but he's also an electrical guy, said he was pretty sure it would still illuminate since it really doesn't matter where the LED is in the circuit. However, I have not tested that.