Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical issue. Won’t start. Run/start relay clicking.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue. Won’t start. Run/start relay clicking.

I have a 2007 manual JK. I haven’t had any previous electrical issues before. This problem started kind of out of the blue. It just wouldn’t crank so I figured it was the battery. I replaced the battery and tried starting and this time the dash flickered and I could hear clicking in the fuse box. I checked it and it was the run/start relay that wouldn’t stop clicking. I went to auto zone and replaced the relay. Same problem. Is there something I’m missing or something else I could check? I’ve also tried switching around some of the similar relays and nothing changes. I’ve checked other threads about these issues and tried just about everything they’ve suggested. I’m gonna leave the battery disconnected overnight tonight and see if that helps but I don’t have very high hopes. Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2018, 01:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Not knowing what "everything they've suggested" might be, the thing that gets my attention is "the dash flickered". This sounds like a problem in some of the primary battery wiring. Check it over, especially all of the ground connections. How are other things working? Do the headlights shine normally? What do they do when you attempt to crank the engine? You might pull up the TIPM and check all of its connectors--remove each one and examine for contamination (and you should have already checked the positive primary connection from the battery). If you find that "the dash flickered" is a canard (IOW, the primary battery wiring seems fine after all), then you might try cranking the engine in 4WD-Low without pressing in the clutch pedal. This will check the interlock on the clutch pedal to ensure it's not causing a problem. When you attempt this, put the gear shifter in neutral, or have room for the Jeep to roll as it cranks. It's also possible that your starter motor is going bad. Mine (2007 also) went out at about 200K miles.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a similar issue on a 1994 ZJ. Turned the key on and the auto shut off and fuel pump relay would click. Replaced the fuel pump and relays no joy. Also noticed that once I turned the key on and did not get a check engine light. After researching on YouTube on no start I found a video that explained a capacitor was going out on the ECU. I replaced the capacitors and the Jeep started first attempt. Not sure how to check the ECU on a JK to see if it might have a bad capacitor or not. Maybe taking it to a dealer to see what they have to say the issue is, however the minimum hourly rate is going to be expensive. Taking the Jeep to the dealer will give you verification on what is possibly the problem.

Here is the video I used.

R/
Will
Old 01-08-2018, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I had this once in a Ford Explorer. The cables going to the battery looked ok. However, I discovered that the copper wires had oxidized underneath the plastic jacket. When I cut through it I could see only a few strands of copper. The rest was that blue/green oxide. I fixed that issue and the problem was solved.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not knowing what "everything they've suggested" might be, the thing that gets my attention is "the dash flickered". This sounds like a problem in some of the primary battery wiring. Check it over, especially all of the ground connections. How are other things working? Do the headlights shine normally? What do they do when you attempt to crank the engine? You might pull up the TIPM and check all of its connectors--remove each one and examine for contamination (and you should have already checked the positive primary connection from the battery). If you find that "the dash flickered" is a canard (IOW, the primary battery wiring seems fine after all), then you might try cranking the engine in 4WD-Low without pressing in the clutch pedal. This will check the interlock on the clutch pedal to ensure it's not causing a problem. When you attempt this, put the gear shifter in neutral, or have room for the Jeep to roll as it cranks. It's also possible that your starter motor is going bad. Mine (2007 also) went out at about 200K miles.
I tried all of those things, and it still just clicks. The red lightning bolt stays on for about 10 seconds or so, then turns off. When I turn the key, the headlights and radio turn off. Bad battery?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Had a similar issue with my 2008 Wrangler. The ignition would give an audible click (click) when trying to start. Sometimes it seemed to work if I shifted it into neutral, sometimes not. Turned out to be a ground issue (star case K96505315). Just had to install a 49" negative cable ($16) and ran it to the starter. Hasn't acted up since. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue. Won’t start. Run/start relay clicking.