Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electrical Issues Caused by Sway Bar Disconnect?

Old 04-02-2019, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Electrical Issues Caused by Sway Bar Disconnect?

Has anyone had their sway bar disconnect cause a problem with the PCM? Last fall, a month or two after taking apart, cleaning, and regreasing my sway bar disconnect mechanism, I was driving along, saw a voltage spike, and a minute later, my engine cut out and my dash lit up like a christmas tree. I had just put in a new alternator and the dealership said the new alternator must have been bad and fried the PCM. They replaced the alternator under warranty, but I had to pay for the PCM. I remember reading on this forum years ago something about the swaybar disconnect module causing a problem like this, but after searching, I still can't find the thread. My sway bar disconnect now won't disconnect, so I'm guessing the actuator is shorted out or fried. I know the mechanism works, as I totally cleaned and greased it and it worked very nicely several times afterward.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'm ready to take that sucker out and put the EVO manual disconnect in its place. I just have a strong suspicion that this is why my PCM was fried.
The following users liked this post:
Sandy McCoy Gibbons (05-28-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, after a little research I'm seeing this has happened to others. One guy said his did the same thing. He unplugged the actuator plug and his Jeep ran. I think I spent a bunch of money on a new PCM when all it would have required was disconnecting that sway bar actuator. Uggh. Well, at least I now know what to do if it happens again. I'm pretty sure my actuator is shorted out. I'm ording the EVO manual release today and will be done with this issue. Man, I wish I'd know to try unplugging that thing. Dang it!

I'd still love to hear from anyone else who has experienced this.

Last edited by dmwil; 04-02-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Haven't had this happen with the e-disco , but many times I've fixed similar by cleaning the electrical and/or ellectronic's with alcohol (or plastic safe electrical cleaner), and then either air dry or use a hair dryer on cold days. Also, circuit boards can be coated (or re-coated) with a spray-on conformal coating to keep moisture and crud from forming shorts on the board.

When it was apart, is there a circuit board inside that could be cleaned?
Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Haven't had this happen with the e-disco , but many times I've fixed similar by cleaning the electrical and/or ellectronic's with alcohol (or plastic safe electrical cleaner), and then either air dry or use a hair dryer on cold days. Also, circuit boards can be coated (or re-coated) with a spray-on conformal coating to keep moisture and crud from forming shorts on the board.

When it was apart, is there a circuit board inside that could be cleaned?
I didn't see it. I think it would have to be disassembled to get to it. Might be worth pulling it apart and looking. When I get the EVO on there, I'll have plenty of time to take this thing apart and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues Caused by Sway Bar Disconnect?