Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/Limp Mode issue.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control Light/Limp Mode issue.

I purchased my Jeep used around two years ago from a private seller, it is quickly turning into one of the largest mistakes I have ever made. I need any help/info I can get from anyone.

It is a
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
47,000 miles
Automatic Transmission

When I purchased the vehicle, the previous owners failed to mention the issue of the ETC light coming on randomly and putting the car into limp mode, they told me when I purchased it, the problem had been fixed it was a problem with the APP sensor. The dealer replaced the pedal, the wiring harness, the whole thing. I drove it for 6 months without a problem, the first year the light came on maybe twice, it was not a big deal just had to cycle the engine and the light was gone. This summer it comes on 4-5 times a day, I cannot complete most drives without it turning on, the only way to get it to shut off is to cycle the engine. I have now taken it to 3 mechanics, including the dealer and none of which can find a problem.

I have had the throttle body replaced, all of the wires relating to the pedal/throttle body had their voltages checked, the computers have been flashed and reset countless times.

I will give you all the information I have about the error:
The car is spitting out the code P2122, and randomly sometimes P2138 will show up.

The engine does not need to be running for the ETC light to come on, if the key is in the on position without the engine running it will randomly turn on, and stay on until the battery is completely shut off.

It seems to happen much more frequently when the temperature is hot outside 65+.

It only comes on when the engine is up to temperature.

The check engine light does not come on, only the ETC.

The issue has gotten progressively worse the longer I own the car.

Any thoughts, suggestions, possible fixes. Please let me know, being my daily driver this issue is rage inducing. I need to get this issue resolved, I am planning to sell the vehicle. In its current state though that would not only be unethical, I am pretty sure illegal. So please if you have any idea what could be causing this problem, please let me know.

If you need anymore info, just ask.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP. Anyone have ideas? @jeepsrokay, did you ever resolve your issue? I have a lighting bolt light appear on the dash with codes P0221 and P2135. I am leaning towards throttle position sensor problems based on the codes.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. With the engine off, are you touching your pedal?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP. Anyone have ideas? I have replaced the throttle body assembly, MOPAR PN 4861661AA and also the pedal, MOPAR PN 53032868AA. I still have the same codes, P0221 and P2135. I'm looking for ideas or maybe a procedure that is needed after these are installed. I clear the codes and they come back after driving.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepsrokay
I purchased my Jeep used around two years ago from a private seller, it is quickly turning into one of the largest mistakes I have ever made. I need any help/info I can get from anyone.

It is a
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
47,000 miles
Automatic Transmission

When I purchased the vehicle, the previous owners failed to mention the issue of the ETC light coming on randomly and putting the car into limp mode, they told me when I purchased it, the problem had been fixed it was a problem with the APP sensor. The dealer replaced the pedal, the wiring harness, the whole thing. I drove it for 6 months without a problem, the first year the light came on maybe twice, it was not a big deal just had to cycle the engine and the light was gone. This summer it comes on 4-5 times a day, I cannot complete most drives without it turning on, the only way to get it to shut off is to cycle the engine. I have now taken it to 3 mechanics, including the dealer and none of which can find a problem.

I have had the throttle body replaced, all of the wires relating to the pedal/throttle body had their voltages checked, the computers have been flashed and reset countless times.

I will give you all the information I have about the error:
The car is spitting out the code P2122, and randomly sometimes P2138 will show up.

The engine does not need to be running for the ETC light to come on, if the key is in the on position without the engine running it will randomly turn on, and stay on until the battery is completely shut off.

It seems to happen much more frequently when the temperature is hot outside 65+.

It only comes on when the engine is up to temperature.

The check engine light does not come on, only the ETC.

The issue has gotten progressively worse the longer I own the car.

Any thoughts, suggestions, possible fixes. Please let me know, being my daily driver this issue is rage inducing. I need to get this issue resolved, I am planning to sell the vehicle. In its current state though that would not only be unethical, I am pretty sure illegal. So please if you have any idea what could be causing this problem, please let me know.

If you need anymore info, just ask.
Did you ever find the gremlin on this? I had the P2138 code spit out at me, for some unknown reason. It cleared itself, and hasn't come back (yet). I'm afraid this might be something that will come back to haunt me.

Both of these codes deal with the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. Looking online, I see that the sensor itself is the accelerator pedal assembly. Lots of folks manufacture the item, and the cost appears to be about $75. I've crawled into the area and ensured that the electrical connectors to the pedal assembly are pushed in (even went so far as to remove the connectors / clean / re-seat).

Just wondering if you found out anything on this.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
Did you ever find the gremlin on this? I had the P2138 code spit out at me, for some unknown reason. It cleared itself, and hasn't come back (yet). I'm afraid this might be something that will come back to haunt me.

Both of these codes deal with the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. Looking online, I see that the sensor itself is the accelerator pedal assembly. Lots of folks manufacture the item, and the cost appears to be about $75. I've crawled into the area and ensured that the electrical connectors to the pedal assembly are pushed in (even went so far as to remove the connectors / clean / re-seat).

Just wondering if you found out anything on this.
From ALLDATA but you can't really test it without an active code.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 DTC P2138 Causes.png
Views:	14064
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	656069  
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
From ALLDATA but you can't really test it without an active code.

Thanks 14Sport. I'll print this out, with hopes that I wont need it.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the pinouts too in case you do.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 DTC P2138 Causes Pinout.png
Views:	17223
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	656445  
Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Here's the pinouts too in case you do.

Thanks 14Sport. Good information. Don't know if the pinouts will be the same for my 2010 or not, but it's a point of reference nonetheless.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you guys ever figure this one out?

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/Limp Mode issue.