Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Emissions: Unable to Test???

Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions: Unable to Test???

So - massively frustrating situation with my 07 JK Sahara.

Battery cell blew right before my inspection was up and had to be replaced, as such, couldn't test emissions until I cleared a few drive cycles.

400+ miles later and it still won't test. O2 and Cat. errors. Tested the O2 sensor and Catalytic converter and both are working fine. Additionally, no leftover uncleared codes.

Basically, WTF? Anyone have any insight? Registration is now expired and I'm pretty stuck here.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What are the errors? Did the battery take out any of the wiring? Sadly the only way to get it to "ready" status for emissions testing is to drive it. Any time you change the programming or clear a code it's going to reset the "ready" counter. Luckily I don't have emissions testing but I do watch that screen after doing repairs.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
What are the errors? Did the battery take out any of the wiring? Sadly the only way to get it to "ready" status for emissions testing is to drive it. Any time you change the programming or clear a code it's going to reset the "ready" counter. Luckily I don't have emissions testing but I do watch that screen after doing repairs.
from what I can tell, the battery didn’t take out any of the wiring. That said, am also having a minor issue with my front left turn signal going out (even with a new bulb).

The errors were that the O2 and Cat sensors weren’t ready, even though I’d driven a solid 400 miles....

Last edited by sheppdc; 10-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Check all your wire harness plugs as well as your grounds. Grounds on a 07 where you are would be my bet.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I'm more of a body guy, the electrical stuff isn't my area of expertise - we discussed the grounds being the issue for the signal, would this throw off the Cat and O2 as well?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Along with driving, your Jeep also needs a couple of complete cool downs for it to finally go into ready state.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

I just reread your post and saw where you mentioned a few drive cycles. I went through this last year right before my inspection. I took about 200 miles, over the course of several days to get it to go into ready state. That's what finally worked for me. Same Not Ready system state as you.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, drove it 400+ miles over the course of about 5 weeks, so there's that...
Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sheppdc
Yeah, drove it 400+ miles over the course of about 5 weeks, so there's that...
Ughhh...I feel your pain. You haven’t been trying to reset the codes with a scanner, have you? That will send it right back into a system reboot.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Nope. Was just trying to drive through it but clearly something else is causing it to not clear.

Have my guy checking the wiring now - the kicker here is I just need to get this all set in order to sell it...

Quick Reply: Emissions: Unable to Test???