Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Engineering Menu + MyGig = Disaster if you're not careful ...

 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
  #1  
JK Freak
Thread Starter
 
amt97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engineering Menu + MyGig = Disaster if you're not careful ...

So, I just installed my shiny new MyGig today.

I got a great deal on it on eBay ... 30GB REN model (non-nav) for $300 shipped.

Got it all installed easily, even upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

Then I was showing it off to a friend, went into the Engineering Menu and hit the "calibrate touch screen" option. Whoops. Bricked my MyGig. There is no "reset" or "Revert to Defaults" Nope, nada, zlich. Turning off the radio did nothing. Reinstalling the current firmware did nothing.

I was freaking out. Basically the touch screen did not work at all. I furiously scoured the web for any hints, tips, etc. I found an "Emergency Touch Screen Calibration" key combo - Seek Up + Radio/Media + Nav (or Audio) - which didn't work for me. I discovered upon reading (see thread below) that since I had resourcefully updated my firmware to the latest version, Chrysler in it's infinite wisdom decided to conveniently "delete" this helpful shortcut in the most recent firmware for the REN models. If you can't use the touchscreen, you can't get back to the Engineering Menu to recalibrate your touchscreen! D'oh!

Fortunately, someone named "jimd1981" figured it out over at www.mofv.com. Thread here:
(http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic....t=1343&p=10508) I downgraded my firmware (had to go to version 9.110 for me to make it work) and was able to use the above mentioned shortcut to get back into the touchscreen calibration mode. I followed the instructions in the post and recalibrated my touchscreen - P.S. You need a stylus of some sort - your finger will not work - I used the skinny end of a plastic bic pen cap taped to the end of a pen as my stylus and that worked like a charm. Follow his steps if you run into any snags and you should be good to go. I was ready to cry. It was after midnight when this happened; it is not 4:03am as I write this. Thankfully I won't have to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Phew!

It was not a fun experience to say the least; I won't be poking around in the engineering menu any time soon, that's for sure!

So, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT enter "Touch Screen Calibration Mode" unless you have a stylus handy or are a glutton for punishment. It actually was pretty easy once I knew what I was doing ... but if you screw it up, you'll be a wee bit prickly when you realize your touch screen is bunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or PM me, and I'll help you out where I can.
amt97 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM
  #2  
JK Newbie
 
Noonetold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by amt97 View Post
So, I just installed my shiny new MyGig today.

I got a great deal on it on eBay ... 30GB REN model (non-nav) for $300 shipped.

Got it all installed easily, even upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

Then I was showing it off to a friend, went into the Engineering Menu and hit the "calibrate touch screen" option. Whoops. Bricked my MyGig. There is no "reset" or "Revert to Defaults" Nope, nada, zlich. Turning off the radio did nothing. Reinstalling the current firmware did nothing.

I was freaking out. Basically the touch screen did not work at all. I furiously scoured the web for any hints, tips, etc. I found an "Emergency Touch Screen Calibration" key combo - Seek Up + Radio/Media + Nav (or Audio) - which didn't work for me. I discovered upon reading (see thread below) that since I had resourcefully updated my firmware to the latest version, Chrysler in it's infinite wisdom decided to conveniently "delete" this helpful shortcut in the most recent firmware for the REN models. If you can't use the touchscreen, you can't get back to the Engineering Menu to recalibrate your touchscreen! D'oh!

Fortunately, someone named "jimd1981" figured it out over at www.mofv.com. Thread here:
(http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic....t=1343&p=10508) I downgraded my firmware (had to go to version 9.110 for me to make it work) and was able to use the above mentioned shortcut to get back into the touchscreen calibration mode. I followed the instructions in the post and recalibrated my touchscreen - P.S. You need a stylus of some sort - your finger will not work - I used the skinny end of a plastic bic pen cap taped to the end of a pen as my stylus and that worked like a charm. Follow his steps if you run into any snags and you should be good to go. I was ready to cry. It was after midnight when this happened; it is not 4:03am as I write this. Thankfully I won't have to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Phew!

It was not a fun experience to say the least; I won't be poking around in the engineering menu any time soon, that's for sure!

So, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT enter "Touch Screen Calibration Mode" unless you have a stylus handy or are a glutton for punishment. It actually was pretty easy once I knew what I was doing ... but if you screw it up, you'll be a wee bit prickly when you realize your touch screen is bunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or PM me, and I'll help you out where I can.



I need your help do you have a copy of 9.11.0 you can email me i can't find it on the web
Noonetold is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  #3  
JK Enthusiast
 
Gnoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How do you access the engineering mode?

Got any other hints and tricks for mygigs?
Gnoz is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM
  #4  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My gig screen bricked

How do you update the software without being able to press "yes" on the screen? I am as stuck as a my gig touch screen after messing around with the calibration. Help!!!
Dannwk is offline  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
  #5  
JK Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Carmel Mtn Ranch
Posts: 235
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gnoz View Post
How do you access the engineering mode?
Press Menu and while in the menu mode you simultaneously press and hold Search up and Search down keys on the left side.
CharlesS is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
  #6  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Leon, GTO
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I need a copy of 9.110

Originally Posted by Noonetold View Post
I need your help do you have a copy of 9.11.0 you can email me i can't find it on the web
I have a REN also with same problem, software 9.292 but the touchscreen calibration doesn't works, do you have a copy to downgrade and have a solution, I would appreciate it
gdiazarellano is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
  #7  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Leon, GTO
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by amt97 View Post
So, I just installed my shiny new MyGig today.

I got a great deal on it on eBay ... 30GB REN model (non-nav) for $300 shipped.

Got it all installed easily, even upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

Then I was showing it off to a friend, went into the Engineering Menu and hit the "calibrate touch screen" option. Whoops. Bricked my MyGig. There is no "reset" or "Revert to Defaults" Nope, nada, zlich. Turning off the radio did nothing. Reinstalling the current firmware did nothing.

I was freaking out. Basically the touch screen did not work at all. I furiously scoured the web for any hints, tips, etc. I found an "Emergency Touch Screen Calibration" key combo - Seek Up + Radio/Media + Nav (or Audio) - which didn't work for me. I discovered upon reading (see thread below) that since I had resourcefully updated my firmware to the latest version, Chrysler in it's infinite wisdom decided to conveniently "delete" this helpful shortcut in the most recent firmware for the REN models. If you can't use the touchscreen, you can't get back to the Engineering Menu to recalibrate your touchscreen! D'oh!

Fortunately, someone named "jimd1981" figured it out over at www.mofv.com. Thread here:
(http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic....t=1343&p=10508) I downgraded my firmware (had to go to version 9.110 for me to make it work) and was able to use the above mentioned shortcut to get back into the touchscreen calibration mode. I followed the instructions in the post and recalibrated my touchscreen - P.S. You need a stylus of some sort - your finger will not work - I used the skinny end of a plastic bic pen cap taped to the end of a pen as my stylus and that worked like a charm. Follow his steps if you run into any snags and you should be good to go. I was ready to cry. It was after midnight when this happened; it is not 4:03am as I write this. Thankfully I won't have to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Phew!

It was not a fun experience to say the least; I won't be poking around in the engineering menu any time soon, that's for sure!

So, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT enter "Touch Screen Calibration Mode" unless you have a stylus handy or are a glutton for punishment. It actually was pretty easy once I knew what I was doing ... but if you screw it up, you'll be a wee bit prickly when you realize your touch screen is bunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or PM me, and I'll help you out where I can.
I have a REN also with same problem, software 9.292 but the touchscreen calibration doesn't works, do you have a copy to downgrade and have a solution, I would appreciate it
gdiazarellano is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM
  #8  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Leon, GTO
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by Dannwk View Post
How do you update the software without being able to press "yes" on the screen? I am as stuck as a my gig touch screen after messing around with the calibration. Help!!!
Did you find out how to click on "yes" option, or have you fixed yet?
gdiazarellano is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM
  #9  
JK Newbie
 
Noonetold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No let me know if you find out thank you
Noonetold is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  #10  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Originally Posted by amt97 View Post
So, I just installed my shiny new MyGig today.

I got a great deal on it on eBay ... 30GB REN model (non-nav) for $300 shipped.

Got it all installed easily, even upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

Then I was showing it off to a friend, went into the Engineering Menu and hit the "calibrate touch screen" option. Whoops. Bricked my MyGig. There is no "reset" or "Revert to Defaults" Nope, nada, zlich. Turning off the radio did nothing. Reinstalling the current firmware did nothing.

I was freaking out. Basically the touch screen did not work at all. I furiously scoured the web for any hints, tips, etc. I found an "Emergency Touch Screen Calibration" key combo - Seek Up + Radio/Media + Nav (or Audio) - which didn't work for me. I discovered upon reading (see thread below) that since I had resourcefully updated my firmware to the latest version, Chrysler in it's infinite wisdom decided to conveniently "delete" this helpful shortcut in the most recent firmware for the REN models. If you can't use the touchscreen, you can't get back to the Engineering Menu to recalibrate your touchscreen! D'oh!

Fortunately, someone named "jimd1981" figured it out over at www.mofv.com. Thread here:
(http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic....t=1343&p=10508) I downgraded my firmware (had to go to version 9.110 for me to make it work) and was able to use the above mentioned shortcut to get back into the touchscreen calibration mode. I followed the instructions in the post and recalibrated my touchscreen - P.S. You need a stylus of some sort - your finger will not work - I used the skinny end of a plastic bic pen cap taped to the end of a pen as my stylus and that worked like a charm. Follow his steps if you run into any snags and you should be good to go. I was ready to cry. It was after midnight when this happened; it is not 4:03am as I write this. Thankfully I won't have to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Phew!

It was not a fun experience to say the least; I won't be poking around in the engineering menu any time soon, that's for sure!

So, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT enter "Touch Screen Calibration Mode" unless you have a stylus handy or are a glutton for punishment. It actually was pretty easy once I knew what I was doing ... but if you screw it up, you'll be a wee bit prickly when you realize your touch screen is bunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or PM me, and I'll help you out where I can.

Hello, I'm new in this forum, im from portugal, i have struglling with the same issues, cane anyone tell me where i can find the previous update mygig 9.110.

Best Regards,

SÚrgio Almeida
almeidex is offline  

Quick Reply: Engineering Menu + MyGig = Disaster if you're not careful ...


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: