Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory ground on fire wall next to battery. Where does it go?

Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory ground on fire wall next to battery. Where does it go?

Today while driving I noticed a sulfur smell coming from under my hood. I pulled over and the battery was boiling over. At first I thought the alternator was over charging the battery but then I sow that the factory ground thats on the fire wall right next to the battery was missing. I couldn't find the factory ground anywhere in the engine bay. Does anyone know where that factory ground goes to? I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JkU btw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 11.27.34 PM.png
Views:	8040
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	676347
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeep_Dave:
Jeepjirau (11-09-2023), Rooter3008 (04-12-2023)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Previous models 07-11 had a hood strap on that post. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_Dave
I couldn't find the factory ground anywhere in the engine bay.
Did you trace the wires from the negative battery terminal? A wire would go from that to the side of the body by the fender, or some other ground point. If the battery were not grounded, the vehicle would not start.

Since you first suspected the alternator was overcharging the battery, did you check battery voltage with the engine running? It should be around 14.3 volts.
Battery gassing and/or boiling over is a sure sign of a bad battery, or alternator overcharging.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did you trace the wires from the negative battery terminal? A wire would go from that to the side of the body by the fender, or some other ground point. If the battery were not grounded, the vehicle would not start.

Since you first suspected the alternator was overcharging the battery, did you check battery voltage with the engine running? It should be around 14.3 volts.
Battery gassing and/or boiling over is a sure sign of a bad battery, or alternator overcharging.

Yes I've done all of that. I traced the wires that are on the negative battery post but they all go into a wiring loom so its kind of hard to tell where they go exactly.

I tested this with a voltmeter and without a ground running from the battery to the firewall or from the engine block to the fire wall, the voltage reading is 17.69 (which is why my battery was boiling over.) As soon as I connect a ground, the voltage drops to 14.27.

As a temporary fix, I have put a ground strap from the engine block to the firewall. That brings the voltage to normal range, but now I have a check engine light. p0032, p0038, p0052, p0058 which are all HO2S heater control high circuit. I'am 99% sure that this has to do with that missing ground.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The lug in your first picture is used on my JK to ground the hood. That being missing should have no effect on your issue. See if your hood has a grounding strap somewhere else.

Disconnect both battery leads, negative first, and clean them and the posts. Reconnect, with the negative being connected last.
Disconnect and clean every lead you can find that is connected to the body. Reconnect, making sure each is tight.

Add a heavy wire from the battery negative to one of the alternator mount bolts.

See if that improves the charging voltage.

Since your battery has been overcharging, get it tested, including water level if the caps can be removed.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The lug in your first picture is used on my JK to ground the hood. That being missing should have no effect on your issue. See if your hood has a grounding strap somewhere else.

Disconnect both battery leads, negative first, and clean them and the posts. Reconnect, with the negative being connected last.
Disconnect and clean every lead you can find that is connected to the body. Reconnect, making sure each is tight.

Add a heavy wire from the battery negative to one of the alternator mount bolts.

See if that improves the charging voltage.

Since your battery has been overcharging, get it tested, including water level if the caps can be removed.

Are you sure thats where that ground goes? In the picture below you can see that it goes down into the engine bay. I looked all over the engine bay and still can't find it.

The old battery was trashed so I replaced it with a brand new Optima Red top. I took your advise and cleaned all the ground connections that I could find. I found 4 ground connection. 2 on each side by the fender. I also cleaned the ground connection of the PCM on the divers side next to the windshield washer fluid.

I added 2 8-guage wires running from the negative post of the battery to the alternator bolts and did not see a change in voltage. The voltage on the jeep still remains at 14.3 range.

Something really weird also happened when I was checking the voltage. The battery light was flashing continuously and the traction control light came up. I turned the Jeep off and turned it back on and the lights went away. I also notice that the Jeep takes a little bit longer to shut off now. Could that be because of the ground problem?

I looked at the engine codes again and I got a p0300 which is a random/multiple misfire. Could this cause the o2 sensors to obtain an inaccurate reading?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 9.40.44 PM.png
Views:	7942
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	676348
The following users liked this post:
Rooter3008 (04-12-2023)
Old 01-05-2022, 06:25 PM
Sjq
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground wire

Today while driving I noticed a sulfur smell coming from under my hood. I pulled over and the battery was boiling over. At first I thought the alternator was over charging the battery but then I sow that the factory ground thats on the fire wall right next to the battery was missing. I couldn't find the factory ground anywhere in the engine bay. Does anyone know where that factory ground goes to? I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JkU btw.

Attachment 676347
The wire goes to the side of the head I just replaced a head gasket and had this wire and one 8 mm bolt left over and remembered were it went after I put battery box back in. It’s very hard to get to if you have big hands but can be done.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure thats where that ground goes? In the picture below you can see that it goes down into the engine bay. I looked all over the engine bay and still can't find it.

The old battery was trashed so I replaced it with a brand new Optima Red top. I took your advise and cleaned all the ground connections that I could find. I found 4 ground connection. 2 on each side by the fender. I also cleaned the ground connection of the PCM on the divers side next to the windshield washer fluid.

I added 2 8-guage wires running from the negative post of the battery to the alternator bolts and did not see a change in voltage. The voltage on the jeep still remains at 14.3 range.

Something really weird also happened when I was checking the voltage. The battery light was flashing continuously and the traction control light came up. I turned the Jeep off and turned it back on and the lights went away. I also notice that the Jeep takes a little bit longer to shut off now. Could that be because of the ground problem?

I looked at the engine codes again and I got a p0300 which is a random/multiple misfire. Could this cause the o2 sensors to obtain an inaccurate reading?

Attachment 676348
how did you end up fixing this issue? I am currently experiencing the same exact issue!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Chadd76 (04-19-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wire you found.

Originally Posted by Sjq
The wire goes to the side of the head I just replaced a head gasket and had this wire and one 8 mm bolt left over and remembered were it went after I put battery box back in. It’s very hard to get to if you have big hands but can be done.
So I was changing out my catalytic converters and saw the fat exact same wire that's connected to the heads, was cut. I put a new ground strap on it and the next morning my battery was dead any ideas?

Quick Reply: Factory ground on fire wall next to battery. Where does it go?