Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Factory radio not working, fuses all okay, no explanation

Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory radio not working, fuses all okay, no explanation

My factory radio stopped working, as though a fuse was blown. But all fuses are fine--nothing to explain why it's dead. Just one day it would not power on, as through the lines were cut. No reason for that either. Any ideas? I'll work on removing it for inspection, to see what's going on, but any ideas would be great. Thanks, Doug.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The radio wouldn't come on, not even to display the time. All of my fuses were good too. I even went ahead and pulled the fuse and reseated it just to make sure, but no luck.

On a whim, (and with the Jeep running - A/C in a south Louisiana summer is mandatory!) I started pressing every button one at a time, starting with the upper left and working my way across. I forget which button did the trick, but before I had even completed the top row, my radio came back alive.

My best guess is that the radio had somehow locked up on something, and that whatever button I had pushed freed it up. It hasn't locked up again on me yet, but like I said, it's only been a few weeks.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 AM
JK Junkie

Try resetting your jeeps comp. Un plug the battery terminals for 10 mins.

Last edited by NH-JK; 07-06-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Krynn
The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The radio wouldn't come on, not even to display the time. All of my fuses were good too. I even went ahead and pulled the fuse and reseated it just to make sure, but no luck.

On a whim, (and with the Jeep running - A/C in a south Louisiana summer is mandatory!) I started pressing every button one at a time, starting with the upper left and working my way across. I forget which button did the trick, but before I had even completed the top row, my radio came back alive.

My best guess is that the radio had somehow locked up on something, and that whatever button I had pushed freed it up. It hasn't locked up again on me yet, but like I said, it's only been a few weeks.
^^^I didn't think this had a chance in h*ll of working but gave it a shot. Starting with the far left seek button and going across the top to the right. Low and behold the radio turned on around the time/info button. Thanks for the post, this made my morning.
The following users liked this post:
lubasf (05-18-2023)
Old 02-02-2019, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Marc Haren
^^^I didn't think this had a chance in h*ll of working but gave it a shot. Starting with the far left seek button and going across the top to the right. Low and behold the radio turned on around the time/info button. Thanks for the post, this made my morning.
Oh geeze! I cannot believe this worked either. It was the time button that kicked it back on for me.
Thank you for the posts!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you!

I just read your comment, the same thing happened to me randomly one day on my break. I tried pressing buttons like you said and now my radio is alive again. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Taylor Pearson
I just read your comment, the same thing happened to me randomly one day on my break. I tried pressing buttons like you said and now my radio is alive again. Thanks!
Im literally dying y’all made my day. Just tried this radio trick. Sure as heck my radio comes and goes after pressing the “Time” button. Won’t stay on but at least I know partly what’s happening!!
Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ash_wess16
Im literally dying y’all made my day. Just tried this radio trick. Sure as heck my radio comes and goes after pressing the “Time” button. Won’t stay on but at least I know partly what’s happening!!
I read all of these thinking there was no chance it would work... I got to rewind and it just came back to life!
Old 09-06-2020, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default I tried everything!!

THIS ACTUALLY WORKED I WAS SO SURPRISED all it took was unsticking some stuck buttons and then pressing them one buy one and half way the radio TURNED ON!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH YOURE A LIFE SAVER AND MONEY SAVER!!!!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ambereverett987
THIS ACTUALLY WORKED I WAS SO SURPRISED all it took was unsticking some stuck buttons and then pressing them one buy one and half way the radio TURNED ON!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH YOURE A LIFE SAVER AND MONEY SAVER!!!!
So happy I found this forum and the trick to get my radio working again. All I did is as described. Turned on car, started pressing buttons from left to right... bingo, radio back! Thanks to whoever figured that out.

Quick Reply: Factory radio not working, fuses all okay, no explanation